• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

1st smoked Turkey

Stingh2

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 13, 2019
This past weekend I smoked my 1st Turkey. My Daughter and her husband are hoisting Thanksgiving this year in their new home and asked me if I could bring a smoked bird to add to their oven baked Turkey to the table this year. So since I have never done one before I figured I need to do a test bird. Picked up a 12 pounder. Did a 48hr brine with Meat church poultry bath added one full cup of apple Bourbon whiskey to the mix. When it was time to get him out I rinsed him off padded him super dry with paper towels put him on a rack and in the refrigerator for four hours to tighten the skin up. When it was time for the rub I sprayed him down with canola oil and then used Jeff’s Texas rub all over with a light dusting of whiskey Bent the bird rub. Turkey went on my Oklahoma Joe using hickory and applewood keeping it at 225 after two hours I basted with unsalted butter and crushed garlic And every hour there after. When internal temperature reach 150 I increased my cooking temperature to 300 at 167 I pulled him off and let it rest for 20min when it was time to slice him open it was so juicy and delicious. I am now waiting for Thanksgiving to come. I think everyone will enjoy it.
3EC3D81F-5433-41D1-A257-8401E99707A0.jpeg

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks & Sounds Perfect !!
You did an Awesome Job on that Bird!!
Like.
Great Thread Too!

Bear

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
Great looking bird! Very good call to run a test cook before a holiday on first time items!!!

Colin1230

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2021
Looks great! Thanks for sharing. It is getting to be that time of year.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Now that is a fine looking Turkey! Well done!
I'm thinking your bird will have fewer leftovers.....

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That’s a beautiful looking bird!
Great color on the skin!
Al

GonnaSmoke

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2018
The turkey looks great, absolutely perfect. But a word of advice, if you don't want to hurt your daughters feelings, ask her to forego the oven baked turkey, it won't stand a chance against your smoked turkey...:emoji_wink::emoji_grinning:. Of course I'm only picking, kind of...

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Holy cow! That is a beautiful bird. Thinking there wont be much left overs on your bird. Hers will end up making sammichs post t'giving.
Jim

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Beautiful bird and excellent cook! I think you will definitely overshadow an oven roasted turkey. Just be ready to be in charge of making the yearly Thanksgiving turkey now.

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Simply gorgeous. Beautiful color on that bird. Well done.

Robert

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.