1st smoked Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Stingh2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
This past weekend I smoked my 1st Turkey. My Daughter and her husband are hoisting Thanksgiving this year in their new home and asked me if I could bring a smoked bird to add to their oven baked Turkey to the table this year. So since I have never done one before I figured I need to do a test bird. Picked up a 12 pounder. Did a 48hr brine with Meat church poultry bath added one full cup of apple Bourbon whiskey to the mix. When it was time to get him out I rinsed him off padded him super dry with paper towels put him on a rack and in the refrigerator for four hours to tighten the skin up. When it was time for the rub I sprayed him down with canola oil and then used Jeff’s Texas rub all over with a light dusting of whiskey Bent the bird rub. Turkey went on my Oklahoma Joe using hickory and applewood keeping it at 225 after two hours I basted with unsalted butter and crushed garlic And every hour there after. When internal temperature reach 150 I increased my cooking temperature to 300 at 167 I pulled him off and let it rest for 20min when it was time to slice him open it was so juicy and delicious. I am now waiting for Thanksgiving to come. I think everyone will enjoy it.
3EC3D81F-5433-41D1-A257-8401E99707A0.jpeg

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. It is getting to be that time of year.

Reactions: Stingh2
The turkey looks great, absolutely perfect. But a word of advice, if you don't want to hurt your daughters feelings, ask her to forego the oven baked turkey, it won't stand a chance against your smoked turkey...:emoji_wink::emoji_grinning:. Of course I'm only picking, kind of...

Holy cow! That is a beautiful bird. Thinking there wont be much left overs on your bird. Hers will end up making sammichs post t'giving.
Jim

Beautiful bird and excellent cook! I think you will definitely overshadow an oven roasted turkey. Just be ready to be in charge of making the yearly Thanksgiving turkey now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky