• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

1ST FATTY EVER... DIDN'T WORK OUT BUT TASTED WICKED GOOD! Q VIEW

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Well, 

I tried my first fatty ever.  Did it on the UDS.  Last night we had a B'day party for my brother in law and I was showing him pics of last weeks first ever smoke, and he made sure to tell me that he was not working today.  I invited him over for lunch.  I tried to go a little light by using turkey sausage...I think that was a mistake.  I also used WAAAAAYYYYYY TOOOOOO MUCH filling.. 

As you can see from the pics I kinda messed up... I guess less is more, is better than more is more.  I did add some chicken 1/4s and a few country style ribs as well.

Here are some pics

my turkey sausage rolled out

Added some cheese

added some hash browns

scrambled some eggs

rolled it up, wrapped in saran wrap

tried a little bacon weave.. i was feeling real good right about now!!!

wrapped the fatty in bacon and put in in the cill chest for a few hours

all on the UDS ready for a few hours in the Smoke

the finished fatty and chix 1/4s fatty split on top!!!

fatty cut in half

not a bad lunch....

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Even though it opened up it looks like it was  tasting real good

tom37

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 24, 2009
So long as you didn't throw anything away, it was a great smoke.

If you eat it then there are no failures.

I agree with above that it looks tasty.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Nothing wrong with that meal. Just asking, why did you put the fatty on foil instead of on the grill direct.

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I was worried about it splitting and spilling cheese all over the coals... So I put it on foil to catch any cheese that oozed out!

xjcamaro

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 16, 2009
Looks good. Who cares if it splits, as long as it kept all the goodies and it tasted good. I like over stuffed fatties anyway!

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
Looks and I bet tasted great, based on that it was a success,  well done

waysideranch

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2008
Thats the beauty of smokes.  Even mistakes taste damn good.  Nice smoke.

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Way nice! I think we've all had a fattie split before! Hey try some green chilis in that, you won't regret it!

Joined Dec 29, 2010
i was going to try the ABT fattie w/ cream cheese and Jalapeno's but my wife thought maybe we should take baby steps at first.... also she is pregnant so I figured the Jalepenos might cause a revolt!!!

smokermark

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 15, 2010
Seems this worked out well for you even with the split. That it opened up that way gave the cheese an opportunity to toast that way. Looks like the wife and you had yourselves a really nice meal today.

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Just like everything else in life it takes practice but atleast you can eat it. After it goes to prove even the un-pretty can be really good to.

thebarbequeen

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 22, 2010
 It sure looks darn tasty!!  I also like the look of that oozy cheese on top!   Really nice color on the chicken, and you can't go wrong with csr's.  If you decide to try some peppers next time, or do some abt's, the trick of careful seeding, cleaning and soaking fresh jalapenos in milk is quite effective, in my experience.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nothing like a good fatty explosion! Looks even more tasty with all that cheese on top.

retread

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 9, 2009
"TASTED WICKED GOOD" ----  hmmm how near to Boston do you live?   (I live in Methuen, now, was raised in Marblehead)

o0infidel0o

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 2, 2011
[quote name="Quityerbitchin" url="/forum/thread/102403/1st-fatty-ever-didn-t-work-out-but-tasted-wicked-good-q-view#post_582050"]
...also she is pregnant...
[/quote]

Soooo...what you're sayin' is, there's peanut butter and pickle fatties in your future. :PDT_Armataz_01_28:

porked

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 2, 2009
I think it looks great! Besides, who cares as long as it tastes good.

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
You have to remember, Looks do not affect the taste only the looks...  If it is edible it is OK...

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.