1st attempt at smoked cheese - Qview of course

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by downstatesmoker, Jan 16, 2010.

1. I picked up a block of Vermont Extra Sharp White Cheddar from BJ's.

I split the block in 2 and I am doing one naked and one with a rub of:

1/4 C Paprika
    1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
    1 Tbsp Oregano
    1/2 teaspoon Cayenne

As you can see I probably could have gone a little less (probably about 1/2 the amount) on the spices.

The spice rub, I should say, was inspired by Fire It Up's post.

I've got them on the SnP with a pork belly I am making into Bacon.

Temp is holding at roughly 70 degrees with a good bit of smoke (even though you can't see it in this picture). Apple and Hicory.

I plan on Vacuum sealing with the food saver after they are done and letting sit in the fridge for 2 weeks where I will unveil them at a friends party (taste test will come first to make sure I am not poisoning anyone).

Will post finished pictures later :)

2. The cheese smoked for about 2 hours, one hour per side. Took it off, food savered it, and now it is sleeping for another week.

3. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great, I like the coating on the one chunk.
    Did one a few weeks back with paprika, garlic oregano and I think chipotle. Just realized that I never opened that one to try and it has been ready for a week!

4. FIU, Yours is what actually inspired me to try the coating.

Hope it comes out good [​IMG]

5. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

They look great...[​IMG]

6. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Oh, well I'm glad that I could give you a bit of inspiration to smoke.
    Didn't post results on them because I forgot I needed to open that last one but the pepper coated one wasn't super special just sliced but when I added it to a pizza it was great!

7. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now thats is something to I haven't done yet "Cheese" But yours looks great and I bet it will be mighty tastey.

8. I was very happy. I was able to hold my SnP at about 80 degrees for almost 8 hours (cheese and bacon). Of course it was abou 40 degrees most of the day without much wind.