1970s Dance/Party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
My wife and I are attending a 70s dance party and were asked to either bring a dish that was popular that decade or to dress in a 1970s outfit.

Since I no longer fit in my plaid bell bottoms, I have decided to bring a dish from those days.

Thinking back, I really cannot remember anything that stood out, so I will yield to my fellow SMF brethren for help. If those of you who lived through the 1970s can remember what dishes were popular, can you please send me some ideas.

Thanks,

John

70s were before my time. I was born in 1980.

Although probably impractical to bring to a party, but wasn’t cheese fondue big at that time?

Reactions: Bearcarver
Check out this site: https://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/...ecipes-the-good-the-bad-the-nostalgic?image=1

Be sure to flip through the pictures...meatball cupcakes....LOL! Among them, mini-meatloaves in a muffin tin would work.
I checked the site and (even though I wasn't around in the 70's) didn't recognize many of the dishes, then I realized it's an Australian site...lol. They probably ate some different things from our 70s food, but was interesting to see.

How about
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/ham-salad-in-endive-cups-3541007
Or (and I'm not sure how you even eat this),
https://www.copymethat.com/r/Hn67TLq/retro-spaghetti-o-jello-might-actually-b/

Any jello mold. Maybe some kind of casserole. Are broccoli or hash brown casserole from the 70's?

Reactions: motocrash
I checked the site and (even though I wasn't around in the 70's) didn't recognize many of the dishes, then I realized it's an Australian site...lol. They probably ate some different things from our 70s food, but was interesting to see.

How about
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/ham-salad-in-endive-cups-3541007
Or (and I'm not sure how you even eat this),
https://www.copymethat.com/r/Hn67TLq/retro-spaghetti-o-jello-might-actually-b/

Any jello mold. Maybe some kind of casserole. Are broccoli or hash brown casserole from the 70's?

I looked at it from the perspective that all "decade-long fads" are usually worldwide.

Ahh,the 70's BBQ.
Kris is on to something with the molded Jello/Jello molds I remember as a kid,almost always funky texture/taste.There was a jiggly sea of them,normally all on one table.I do remember one of the few I liked had mandarin oranges and the small marshmallows in it...coconut too...maybe.:emoji_thinking:
One of our neighbors always cooked hamburger steaks,coated in mustard and rock salt.

Every week in the 70's, Mom made some type of Casserole that had Campbells Soup as a component. American Chop Suey, ground beef, green peppers, onions, tomato sauce and Elbow Macaroni, is another dish that was frequently served. It can be made and server from the stove-top or covered in cheese and baked. Manwich Sloppy Joes, introduced in '69, are a 70's classic. Other 70's classics. Watergate Salad, Deviled Eggs, Hawaiian Meatballs, Garlic Bread, Carrot Cake and the Coolest Dessert, EVER...JELLO POKE CAKE!!!...JJ

Reactions: Bearcarver
Flank-steak, round-steak, chuck-steak all the cheaper cuts of meat, and always cooked to a perfect shoe leathery consistency. Cheese fondue was a fad back then also, and as Chef JJ mentioned casseroles, and Italian pasty dishes were a weekly menu item. I also remember special brownies that made people feel better were a staple at most youth parties. Don't forget your KISS alive album.

Chris

This is great guys!

Saturday Night Fever, Special Brownies, Casseroles, Cheese Fondue, and "There's always room for Jello."

I have a feeling the party will be inundated with Jello molds, so I believe I will need to start thinking outside the proverbial Jello box.

Hmmmm . . . special brownies sounds great, but that "special" ingredient is not yet legal here in Pennsylvania.

Hmmmm . . . special brownies sounds great, but that "special" ingredient is not yet legal here in Pennsylvania.
If you can obtain the special ingredient,read up on "edibles" and the THC content reccomendations.OD-ing is quite common from overzealous cookery.Oils are the best way to go here as they are usually labeled with a percentage.This is of course from what I've read,not practiced.

Yeah! I remember cube steak in the pressure cooker,pst-pst-pst....Though Altons recipe is not done that way.

And let me tell you Bear. . . My prayers were always with you guys fighting in that awful war. I lost a lot of good friends due to that political mess.

God Bless you and thanks for your service,

John

Thank You John!!
I lost a lot of friends too---Some old friends and some I met there.
However, The Prayers Did Help a lot!!

Bear

"I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening?"*

Fondue.

It was a fad that was most definitely in the 1970s, and actually somewhat defines the decade. I still have my electric fondue pot, if you'd like to come over and borrow it. You can either make cheese fondue, or you can heat oil in a pot and dip meat. Cheese is easier.

I have quite a few 1970s cookbooks. I just brought out the one which came with my Rival Crockpot (avocado green which, along with harvest gold, were the colors of a 1970s kitchen). A quick scan turned up recipes with names I don't remember hearing for the past thirty years. One example is Beef Stroganoff. I don't think I've seen that on a menu for a long, long time.

Another fad food from the 1970s are crêpes. These used to appear on menus almost everywhere, and the fad was so big that an entire chain sprang up that served nothing but crêpes: The Magic Pan. Click on that link to get a brief summary. They featured a crêpe-making machine right in the middle of the restaurant, a real Rube Goldberg that plopped some dough onto a plate, followed by a gadget that flattened the ball into a flat pancake which was then deposited on the outside bottom of a frying pan. That pan then got heated, and the crêpe dropped off into a holder where someone from the kitchen would collect them and build your dinner from them.

You could get not only dessert crêpes, but main meals served on a pancake. Strange, but true, and once again, most definitely a 70s-only food.

---------
*Line from "The Graduate"

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky