1758 Pennsylvania Smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KrisUpInSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
This weekend marked Fort Ligonier Days, which is a 3 day festival celebrating a battle that took place there. From Wikipedia, "Fort Ligonier is a British fortification from the French and Indian War located in Ligonier, Pennsylvania, United States." From www.fortligonier.com, "As summer waned in 1758, the site of a new fortification was chosen by the British army that overlooked the Loyalhanna Creek. It was the last in a string of fortifications along the newly cut Forbes Road that would ultimately stretch from Philadelphia to the site of French Fort Duquesne, the ultimate objective of the Forbes Campaign. When Fort Duquesne fell to the British army in late November of 1758, construction of a new fort, Fort Pitt, began, and the land on which it rose was named Pittsburgh." (https://www.fortligonier.org/fort/history/)

These pictures are from Friday. Some reenacters can be seen setting up for their Saturday reenactment event. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing an historic smokehouse and its surroundings.

481_IMG_20181012_151234.jpg
990_IMG_20181012_151242.jpg
190_IMG_20181012_151252.jpg
7_PANO_20181012_151416.jpg
87_IMG_20181012_151949.jpg
363_IMG_20181012_152019.jpg
242_IMG_20181012_151847.jpg
106_IMG_20181012_151850.jpg
102_IMG_20181012_151829.jpg
637_IMG_20181012_152023.jpg
232_IMG_20181012_152043.jpg
889_IMG_20181012_152756.jpg

Cool !!
Thanks for showing this Kris!!
Love the Dovetails in the Smokehouse corners.
It appears all of the buildings have them.

Bear

This weekend marked Fort Ligonier Days, which is a 3 day festival celebrating a battle that took place there. From Wikipedia, "Fort Ligonier is a British fortification from the French and Indian War located in Ligonier, Pennsylvania, United States." From www.fortligonier.com, "As summer waned in 1758, the site of a new fortification was chosen by the British army that overlooked the Loyalhanna Creek. It was the last in a string of fortifications along the newly cut Forbes Road that would ultimately stretch from Philadelphia to the site of French Fort Duquesne, the ultimate objective of the Forbes Campaign. When Fort Duquesne fell to the British army in late November of 1758, construction of a new fort, Fort Pitt, began, and the land on which it rose was named Pittsburgh." (https://www.fortligonier.org/fort/history/)

These pictures are from Friday. Some reenacters can be seen setting up for their Saturday reenactment event. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing an historic smokehouse and its surroundings.
Very cool!
Thanks for sharing.

Really neat pictures Kris. That smokehouse is pretty cool.

Chris

I think most all states on the east coast sugar. As well as eastern Canada.

Now that is a Pro-pah Smoke House! ;)
Love the rest as well, especially the polished Mortars, and Period Clothes.
Goes to show how long Dovetailed corners can hold together.

I'm not too surprised they make Maple Surple there.
Love the hardwoods of the North and East.

I happened to be close to my neighborhood I grew up in. So I drove by to take a look.
Dad's Sugar Maple is still there in the front yard. And I bet it still drips tiny droplets of sap on the cars in the driveway, too. :D

Those are some very cool pictures. I am a huge Civil War buff, but anything history from those early days are awesome. I would think that with a name like Colonel Bouquet his toughness was well earned as a boy!!

Those are some very cool pictures. I am a huge Civil War buff, but anything history from those early days are awesome. I would think that with a name like Colonel Bouquet his toughness was well earned as a boy!!

Boy Named Sue??

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky