• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

14lb Thanksgiving Turkey

nittanyfans

Joined Apr 24, 2016
I have a MES 30 and I want to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving.

I'm going to brine the bird overnight. My biggest decision is to spatchcock it or not.

I need to have dinner ready around 430. So I'm not sure if I should leave it while or spatchcock it.

Thoughts on how long each method would take???

Thank you!!

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 22, 2011
I'm all for spatchcocking chickens, but I like to leave turkeys whole. It's just a nostalgia thing.
If you smoke yours at 275° it shouldn't take too much over 6 hours. Get it in the smoker by 9am and you should be ok.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I agree on the 6 hours, but if you spathhcock it, you will cut the time in half.

Al

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Once you spatch you'll never go back! Just imagine if Norman Rockwell had illustrated a spatched bird. No one would be cooking them whole! There are plenty of great ways to present a spatched bird that look as good or even better than a whole bird.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 22, 2011
After all my preaching about wanting a whole bird, the damn thing wouldn't fit in the smoker!! So I had to part it out. I boned and rolled the breasts and made "Swansons" out of the legs. Boned, tied and bacon wrapped the thighs, leaving them attached to the legs.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.