14lb Thanksgiving Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nittanyfans

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
I have a MES 30 and I want to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving.

I'm going to brine the bird overnight. My biggest decision is to spatchcock it or not.

I need to have dinner ready around 430. So I'm not sure if I should leave it while or spatchcock it.

Thoughts on how long each method would take???

Thank you!!

I'm all for spatchcocking chickens, but I like to leave turkeys whole. It's just a nostalgia thing.
If you smoke yours at 275° it shouldn't take too much over 6 hours. Get it in the smoker by 9am and you should be ok.

Once you spatch you'll never go back! Just imagine if Norman Rockwell had illustrated a spatched bird. No one would be cooking them whole! There are plenty of great ways to present a spatched bird that look as good or even better than a whole bird.

After all my preaching about wanting a whole bird, the damn thing wouldn't fit in the smoker!! So I had to part it out. I boned and rolled the breasts and made "Swansons" out of the legs. Boned, tied and bacon wrapped the thighs, leaving them attached to the legs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky