Zero-pork fat sausage - a success!?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geobum

Original poster
Dec 22, 2021
I know most folks add pork fat to improve texture, flavor, and moisture of their sausages. But I'm curious if any of you have had success without using pork fat or other animal fat. In my case, I'm working with venison. Below I'll share some experiences/failures and then one recent success.

I have to admit my first time making sausage I didnt do any research and I used deer fat I saved during butchering. WHOOPS. Never will make that mistake again. That was years ago and I still get a waxy sensation in my mouth when I think back on it. I refused to throw it out so I just heated it up on the stove and ate it while it was hot and the fat was less waxy (haha). 10 pounds of that builds character.

Next I tried an olive oil-red wine emulsion (blended and mixed while nearly frozen) but that was an oily mess and the olive oil leaked out from the meat during smoking and puddled up in the casings.

Next I tried pureeing different vegetables and mixing that into meat and it turned out so-so. Could have tried some different permutations of that recipe but I wanted to try something different altogether.

Most recently I had a success by adding applesauce, apple juice, a little red wine and ultimately nonfatdry milk at rate of 3% of "total pounds of stuff". Plus spices and morton tenderquick. Hand mixed for a few days, added the nonfat dry milk on the last day, mixed thoroughly, and shaped into logs (~ 3" diameter and 8" long) - no casings - and placed in my low-tech Big Chief smoker. Two batches of apple wood smoke at 30-45 min per batch. Transferred to house oven with door open on lowest setting and finished to internal temp of 155F after about 6 hours. Wow was it good! Moist, not at all crumbly, smokey, and some of the sweetness from the apple poking through. The smoke created it's own casing (im calling it bark) on the sausage. I'm definitely going to be using this recipe more and experimenting with the ratios of applesauce/juice/wine. The NFDM was the ticket though for locking the juices in. Not a single drip from the logs during smoking/cooking.

Any other successful zero-pork fat sausage experiences/recipes to share?

First time poster, long time reader.

Geobum

Here's a recipe from Morton's. Its been around a long time and works well with low fat content meat. Use to make beef logs when I first got into curing meats. I used 97% lean beef. IMO Tenderquick has binding characteristics. One reason why I prefer it over cure #1.

MEAT CURING –
BEEF SALAMI

Mustard seeds, garlic, nutmeg, and black pepper transform ground beef into homemade salami with the help of Morton® Tender Quick® mix.

Ingredients

• 1 pound of ground beef
  • 1 1/2 level teaspoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix
  • 1 teaspoon Morton® Table Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Few drops liquid smoke, if desired
Boykjo

Congrats on your results.

Here is a good read on emulsions for use as fake lard. I've made this for vegetarian sausages, but never tried it in real sausages.

Reactions: zwiller
Congrats on your results.

Here is a good read on emulsions for use as fake lard. I've made this for vegetarian sausages, but never tried it in real sausages.

wow, that emulsion write-up is great. thanks for sharing the link. the experimenter in me really wants to test some flaxseed/oil/juice combos now! i know lots of people are probably reading this and cringing... and my neighbor didn't mince words when he heard what i was doing... "just buy some pork fat you hippie!"

I'm just wondering why the exclusion of pork fat???

my stance has changed over the years. i was vegan years ago, then switched to vegetarian because i enjoy cheese too much, then decided i enjoy fishing and hunting too much to not enjoy the catch/harvest. been only eating wild game/fish for last 8 years or so. it may sound silly to many, but just a personal choice. although i've been talking about going in halfsies on a cow with a friend.... so ask me again a year from now and i might have yet another response :)

Welcome aboard.

It looks like you are making good progress in your low-fat sausage adventure. It's going to be hard to eliminate all fat but lower fat sausages is possible. Obviously starting with leaner meat is a good start. You can accomplish this by changing muscles, and by more aggressive trimming.... and just because you see a recipe that calls for additional fatty trim or back fat it's not needed at all. Here is a meat shop version of a Basque farm sausage I like (on the left) and my reverse engineered version of the same sausage but much leaner. Also note how coarse some of the fat is in the meat shop version.
x2pG6m5.jpg

It's possible to use vegetable oil as a replacement for fat and the emulsified step that P PolishDeli mentioned is a good option. Along those lines, the grind size is important with leaner meats because you want the proper mouth-feel, and moistness. Grinding icy meat and frozen fat is critical. My standard sausage is made from moderately trimmed Boston butt, and I like a medium single grind (and sometimes 30% double ground for better binding). On lower fat formulations I step down one plate for a finer grind. If you purchase bison or 93/7 ground beef, you might notice it's ground a little bit finer than fattier ground beef.

My bologna for example is a double fine grind, and similar to an emulsified product without all of the additional work.
HeDReIH.jpg
My frankfurters are also a finer grind, and not emulsified, these are a hair fattier than I like them.
nFQuSNC.jpg

Also with leaner meats, I'll bump the spice amounts, using flavor to replace fat. MSG is an option here too. A strategy for moistness is the use of phosphates, certain soy products and even non-fat powdered milk. Also, I add icy cold liquid to almost all of my sausage. Usually water, but wine, beer or a weak broth work too. Commercial products for competition BBQ in the form of brines and injections can bring moistness, flavor and phosphates to the party. You just have to experiment with the mixing ratios as many are in powder form.

Lastly is cooking. I'm sure we've all grilled some Johnsonville sausages and had them plump-up too fast and spring a leak, or worse.... split open. Well those dudes are probably 40% fat and they will still be somewhat moist. But for my leaner sausages (links and bulk) I like low-n-slo cooking temps for grilling or pan frying. I want the links to slowly swell and plump, but never want them to spit or split. And speaking of cooking, try not to overshoot your target temperature, including some carry-over rise. Even 5° or 6° above the perfect temp will begin to dry out a lean sausage.

I make beef only sausages/hot dogs time to time and like them very much... Here are two links to my threads on this:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky