Another All Beef Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
OUr local supermarket running another sale on Try-Tip for $1.99 (untrimmed) per pound. I just could not resist and grubbed one piece w which was 17.8 pound. Brought it home, trimmed and separated Class I & class II (5.92 kg) and Class IV (1.1 kg). Beef fat (1.36 kg) is not suggested to use for sausages so it was thought away... All together I had 15.5 pounds of meat for my sausage.
Half of Class I & Class II beff was coarse grind (10 mm plated) and half was left just cubed at about 15-20 mm. Class IV beef was grind with 3mm plated (after meat was semi frozen). After I mixed a grind meat with the cure and spices my hands were semi frozen as well.
IMG_1827.jpg

In the fridge over night. I would prefer to leave in the fridge for 48 -72 hours but did not have enough time... As usual...
Kept the meat in the fridge for about 16 hours. Prepared my 20 pounds stuffer, casing and it's time to stuff. I used 55-60mm beef middles.
IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831 (1).jpg

All stuffed...

IMG_1832.jpg

In the smoker at 130F for an hour and then increased temperature 10 degrees every 1 hour. Kept temperature at 165F for 3 hours. In 3 hours lower temp to 150F for 1 hour and finished smoking. While waiting...

IMG_1834.jpg
Hanged sausages outside to bloom (outside temp was around 70F-65F) for 2-2.5 hours and into fridge overnight...
IMG_1845.jpg

This morning- time to slice and taste test:
IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

Success! Taste was great (my wife has confirmed that) and the texture perfect.
Will be vac packing little later today... Hope I did not missed anything in my thread.... Also, please let me know if you can see the picks. Last time t his happened - I could see all of them but forum memebers could not. Would like to know why.... Thank you!

chopsaw, I went trough several "all beef sausages" recipes in my archive and based on several of them I "assembled" my own one with taste profile I prefer. One thing only - I forgot to add some cognac or bourbon which I was planning to add originally. Stupid of me....
Here are ingredients I used but if you need a full recipe - just let me know.
Corn sirup solids
phosphate
paprika
garlic
onion
white pepper
ginger
nutmeg
mace
of course salt and Cure 1

Reactions: chopsaw
Love the look of it with the large cubes in the mix.
Is that a stuffed tomato or pepper?
And yes I see pictures.

Reactions: pushok2018
Thank you, danmcg. Yes, it's a pickled Cherry Bomb Pepper. I never tried it before because no stores around carry them. Last week I found them in the store I usually don't shop in and grub one basket. Used SteveH pickling recipe as a base: one part of vinegar and water each. three TB spoon of salt and 1/4 part (to vinegar) of sugar plus some garlic and good amount of dill. I used SteveH process. Pretty damn good! Just bought 8 baskets of same Cherry peppers yesterday along with two packs of serrano and jalapeno. Everything will go into the same jar - like spicy/hot stuff. Will be working on this batch today.

Reactions: Steve H
Thanks Push . Sounds tasty . Whats the storage and shelf life of the beef bung ?

Well... I can keep them in the freezer as long as 12 month and they taste literally the same if I just cooked them. When unpacked and kept in the fridge for daily use - never longer than a month because it's gone then... They are pretty shelf stable, IMHO. Not sure if I answered your question...

Reactions: chopsaw
Here a n000000b question. How do you make the quick distinction between class 1-4 portions of the muscle.

I have a reasonable understanding of the classes and why they should be ground differently, but not the real world experience in separating the individual portion of muscle into 4 distinct groups.

Ha! I own
this book thanks to daveomak. That's why I know the differences in theory, but not as much in practice.

20190824_203426.jpg

Edit: you can actually see it in the center of the pic on my desk as I drink banquets and watch me a bit of "Live PD" :-D

They look great. The texture with the chunks is very interesting. Are you going to just pickle. Or pickle and stuff the serrano peppers? Been thinking about doing those.

I am sorry, guys... I couldn't reply right away - had to go to work first thing Sunday morning for emergency purposes....
Are you going to just pickle. Or pickle and stuff the serrano peppers?
Steve, no I was just pickling - no stuffing. I am not at your level just yet but working hard on that! This what I completed yesterday. Combination of Cherry Bomb Pepper, Serrano, Jalapenos and some sort of small sweet peppers. This time I added a little more sweet (sugar) to the pickling "juice" and YES, this was good! I just tried it...
IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

P2018, Excellent looking sausage!
crazymoon, thank you for the LIKE!

Reactions: Steve H and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky