YS640 comp vs Rec Tec Bull comp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rec Tec Bull or Yoder YS 640

• Bull Competition Package

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Yoder YS640 Competition

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That’s pretty darn nice of them giving they don’t control UPS. Raining here but ribs on, should be don’t in about 2 hours. I don’t foil them....just sprayed a bit of apple and I’ll sauce them up later.

Just an update. I did receive my rec today. Unfortunately its pouring out so i cant not put it together but happy it is here.
I also talked to rec tec and they apologized for the inconvenience. They are actually sending me a cover for the grill which is very nice of them.

Good on them for sending you a cover.

Here's to hoping that weather permits you getting it set up tomorrow and doing your initial burn in.

Now would be a good time to get your tools together. You'll need a socket set, specifically a 17mm socket and short extension, and a Phillips screwdriver.

The tools they give you will only slow you down. However that said, the angled Phillips screwdriver they give you does come in handy at least in one spot. But that 17mm "wrench" they give you will slow you down. Use a socket.

Last edited:
Good on them for sending you a cover.

Here's to hoping that weather permits you getting it set up tomorrow and doing your initial burn in.

Now would be a good time to get your tools together. You'll need a socket set, specifically a 17mm socket and short extension, and a Phillips screwdriver.

The tools they give you will only slow you down. However that said, the angled Phillips screwdriver they give you does come in handy at least in one spot. But that 17mm "wrench" they give you will slow you down. Use a socket.

Yes i got all the tools ready. I have them handy I work on cars a lot so got them in the workbench.
Tomorrow rain should stop in the morning. So should be able to get it up and running tomorrow for the burn in. Sunday I will do a smoke. The vents for the back for in the rain look really useful. Do you have them?

E9E68715-E7BA-42E8-8165-C1D8405AF6BC.jpeg

Reactions: texomakid
Yes i got all the tools ready. I have them handy I work on cars a lot so got them in the workbench.
Tomorrow rain should stop in the morning. So should be able to get it up and running tomorrow for the burn in. Sunday I will do a smoke. The vents for the back for in the rain look really useful. Do you have them?

I do have them, and I bought them "literally" for a "rainy day".

However as of this time, I've never used my Stampede on a rainy day, so to this point they have not really been useful.

I got them though just in case I was doing an overnight cook and rain came into the area during the night. So in that regard they're a good option to have.

Grilled several times. For those wondering if this can replace a gas Weber genesis....it does. My Weber lost its spot on the patio and the ys640 has taken over. It’s a bit less surface area but I prefer the results and it heats up in about the same time, maybe a shade less. 100% happy with the grilling function as well as indirect.

Reactions: texomakid
So I was in Costco today with wife picking up some stuff and bought some pellets. Cashier guy says he has a pellet smoker and starts talking. Told him I just got mine....he says what kind...told him Yoder ys640....he says whoa that’s way above my pay grade you went all out.....I was happy and sad at the same time as wife realized how cool of a smoker we got...but then started asking how much it cost :)

Reactions: retfr8flyr
I've heard the phrase that probably fits this purchase - "buy once, cry once". It looks so new & nice. after seeing that pic of yours I'm gonna have to give mine a bath!
Enjoy your Yoder. It's a cooking machine!

Well now I’m sad....new Yoder ys640s is out with built in fireboard and WiFi grill controller....plus ceramic igniter.

Pisses me off since I just bought...hope they offer those that purchased in the last few weeks an upgrade option or two...

Yep saw that as well. Can buy the ceramic igniter now for 52 bucks so I’m cool with both options since the upgraded one is like 300 more.

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. I've had my YS640 for almost a year and loving it, no regrets. Brisket, ribs, butt, chicken, steaks, deviled eggs, salmon, burgers all turned out great every time. All my friends love me! I try to clean the ashes out between every cook but not more than every other and have had not issues. It tends to over shoot the temp but then settles down on the mark and stays there unless you run out of pellets (ask me how I know) Cooking a brisket and butter chicken next weekend for wife's Birthday
Butter Chicken sound delicious

Well, since Tex brought back the thread to the top of the list, I thought I would follow up with my initial comments about my Yoder. I did do the conversion for the WiFi controller and the new ceramic burner. Works great! I sold my Tappecue (on this forum :emoji_wink:) and went with the Fireboard as well. Now I have one app allowing me to see 6 probes (way to many) and control my temp. I did do a small paint job on the front of the smoker this fall but it was cosmetic and took 15 min. Needed it to look nice to make the brother-in-laws jealous this Thursday!!

curly11
Glad the upgrade works. I plan to wait until I have a problem with mine.
By the way, labor well spent if you can get him turning green. And not from the turkey!

Well after much internal debate and an excel spreadsheet ranking stuff...I think I reached a decision.

The MAK one star seems to be great, but space is limited and have to buy a 400 grill zone thing....and at end of day can’t make it bigger.

Rec Tec was the winner on my spreadsheet for values and features, but feel like I’m paying for a features and maybe sacrificing build quality overall...this is purely subjective by me. The screening of their pages worry’s me somewhat....comparing to Yoder for example Yoder has some complaints and has had to address them...but they are there.

And that leaves Yoder....I plan to go pick up the YS640 tomorrow from a dealer in Oregon. Getting grill grates, griddle, 2 piece diffuser and regular cart. I’m skipping the stainless shelves for now as I will keep in in a garage when not in use. I like the idea that will have a smoker built to last years, made in the USA, and I can add WiFi probes or whatever other stuff i want. Interestingly enough this one finished last on my spreadsheet...but the fact I can go pick it up and have it now with no sales tax helps :)
Good luck man! I'd keep some spare spray paint.

You can find negative comments about Rec Tec. I searched for them and found some. None of what I found was alarming at all. Rec Tec does seem to keep negative comments off the web and especially in any community they are in. I can see where you are coming from because when I was researching, I found it slightly alarming I couldn't find(at first glance) negative comments. But then I made it my mission to find some and I did. Besides the price difference(which there is a good price difference apples to apples) with Yoder over Rec Tec, I just couldn't get my head around buying a grill that may or most likely will rust within a year. I don't have a cover porch or anything like that so that was a HUGE factor for me. I have heard also Yoder EAT pellets compared to Rec Tec also. The opposite way to look at the keeping negative comments down is they prefer to keep things in house and resolve them. They like to resolve the problem before someone even posts something negative. Lots of times with companies with bad customer service(which most of us are used to with most companies) so we post something negative to get the companies attention and hopefully get a response. With Rec Tec, you just call and get things resolved. You even get the owners cell and he regularly comments and responds on FaceBook groups which is is just awesome.

All that said, I wish you the best of luck and hope you love your grill. End of the day....all of us want is good Q and I"m sure you will be happy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky