YS640 comp vs Rec Tec Bull comp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rec Tec Bull or Yoder YS 640

• Bull Competition Package

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Yoder YS640 Competition

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well after much internal debate and an excel spreadsheet ranking stuff...I think I reached a decision.

The MAK one star seems to be great, but space is limited and have to buy a 400 grill zone thing....and at end of day can’t make it bigger.

Rec Tec was the winner on my spreadsheet for values and features, but feel like I’m paying for a features and maybe sacrificing build quality overall...this is purely subjective by me. The screening of their pages worry’s me somewhat....comparing to Yoder for example Yoder has some complaints and has had to address them...but they are there.

And that leaves Yoder....I plan to go pick up the YS640 tomorrow from a dealer in Oregon. Getting grill grates, griddle, 2 piece diffuser and regular cart. I’m skipping the stainless shelves for now as I will keep in in a garage when not in use. I like the idea that will have a smoker built to last years, made in the USA, and I can add WiFi probes or whatever other stuff i want. Interestingly enough this one finished last on my spreadsheet...but the fact I can go pick it up and have it now with no sales tax helps :)
Pickint it up in delaware?

Reactions: retfr8flyr
Guess I need to weigh in on the Yoder side. I love my 640. The dual fans mean the baffles does nothing but fine tune the temps. I like to have a slight variance in my temps for thicker points and thinner flats or when two butts come out of the stall at different times. In illinois. My Comp Cart is kept under the cover and have had no issues with repainting etc in three years. I agree with the two piece diffuser and stainless steel shelves. I have grill grates and would put the reverse sear steaks that come off the 640 up with some of the best steak houses. My Weber Genesis rarely comes out anymore. I havent found the need to adjust my temp via wifi because the Yoder just settles in on whatever I need it to. I do have the Tappecue (original and touch) so that I can keep an eye on things but its mainly about stalls and knowing its time to probe with a toothpick. Good luck in your search and let me know if I can answer any more questions about the YS640. (BTW- Customer service was awesome this thanksgiving. Only thing I have ever had wrong with my unit was a fan bearing did not like the cold weather. Yoder overnighted me another so that my Turkey came out perfect)

X2 - You nailed the Yoder 640 as per my experience as well. It's a cooking beast.

Well...Saturday pick up did not happen as when I got measurements for the package I was concerned enough that I did not make the trip as my vans middle seats can't fold down, would have to remove them and it was 3.5 hours away so didn't want to chance it.

I then looked at ATBBQ some more...and ended up ordering from there. Yes, I don't get instant gratification...however it saves me 7 hours of driving, fuel, hassle, etc.

I also changed my mind from the YS640 and went with the YS480. If I'm being honest with myself, I probably dont need the extra 8" of space and no damper is one less thing to worry about (hoping the smaller chamber doesn't require it). I also decided one less grate would leave me happier not to buy the 190 dollar two piece diffuser plate, so trying the 480 with a grill kit and the griddle. This kept me to a much more budget friendly price and lowered shipping cost by 100 bucks vs the 640. I know the standard answer is its only 200 more to get the 640, but I saved over 300 for the difference. In my head around 1500 was much more acceptable than close to 2000....Tried hard to justify the cool stuff like the comp cart or stainless shelves, but its probably only going to sit on my deck...and since mine is covered but requires stairs to get on or off of it...its probably not leaving there.

Nice, enjoy it, i am going for the bigger one myself almost talked myself into the smaller one but then I think I would regret it and end up with the big one anyway

Waiting until April 2nd....it’s tough....

Hope the Rec Tec is awesome for you! Let me know your thoughts.

Will do. Let me know how the Yoder is. It was a little out of my price range. Really didn't look at it.

Grrr freight won’t deliver until Thursday....but at least I’ll have for weekend!

Haha same for me. Mine is being delivered Thursday too. Have a party sat so Ribs and chicken Sunday on the new smoker.

Got it a bit ago and just put together. Doing the burn in as we speak.

Packaging was great, came on its own pallet and everything included as it should have been. Assembly not bad at all...just a few screws and bolts for the legs. One thing to note.....you don’t realize on videos how thick the front and side shelf grates are...they are very stout to say the least...much more robust than they looked. The chimney doesn’t close off the vent quite as well as I’d like, fits a bit loose and has a gap at the top.

I can already see why the 2 piece diffuser is considered a strong nice to have if not a must have just from reading the manual and getting going.

This sucker is up to temp to 350 with diffuser in less than 15 min, prettty good fire roaring inside actually more than expected. I didn’t put many pellets in at all but it keeps dumping some in even though it’s over but I’m lettting it do it’s thing and it’s coming back down nicely.

Got it a bit ago and just put together. Doing the burn in as we speak.

Packaging was great, came on its own pallet and everything included as it should have been. Assembly not bad at all...just a few screws and bolts for the legs. One thing to note.....you don’t realize on videos how thick the front and side shelf grates are...they are very stout to say the least...much more robust than they looked. The chimney doesn’t close off the vent quite as well as I’d like, fits a bit loose and has a gap at the top.

I can already see why the 2 piece diffuser is considered a strong nice to have if not a must have just from reading the manual and getting going.

This sucker is up to temp to 350 with diffuser in less than 15 min, prettty good fire roaring inside actually more than expected. I didn’t put many pellets in at all but it keeps dumping some in even though it’s over but I’m lettting it do it’s thing and it’s coming back down nicely.

Nice congrats. Sounds like its running great. Unfortunately mine did not arrive. UPS ran late or something even though I took off of work and waited for it all day cause I had an appointment with them.
I need to reschedule now which is very annoying.
Let us know how the first cook goes.

Funny you say that. Fed Ex freight missed the window so I called and driver had got hurt. They had to have someone go pick up bus load and finish but only a few hours late...

Funny you say that. Fed Ex freight missed the window so I called and driver had got hurt. They had to have someone go pick up bus load and finish but only a few hours late...
Really my windows was between 10-5 which is huge, I called them at 6 giving them the benefit of the doubt but it was already back at the ups freight place. Now they need to call me in the morning to reschedule.

Ok...so did burn in tonight earlier as mentioned. After brief cool down pulled diffuser and added grill grates in. Mixed some PitBoss competition blend with the bbq delight apple that ATBBQ sent with it. I set it to 400 with the grill grates for burgers. As it went to 400 in like 10 minutes I put the burgers on. It proceeded to shoot past it up to about 470ish, then start to work its way back down so I think I need to be more patient and let it stabilize.

In anticipation of the arrival I had went to Costco today. I grabbed brisket, ribs, and a large amount of 88% lean beef which is usually too lean for me for burgers. While it was burning in, I pressed out the hamburger with a burger press and separated some for freezer. I took four out and added the Steakhouse seasoning that it came with in the package and put those four on and two Boca burgers for the vegetarian members.

At the risk of sounding like a bit too happy, the burgers came out fantastic. Even with 88% lean, they were the juiciest burgers I have done, and they had a great sear due to the high initial temps. Maybe I just haven't cranked the weber up high enough when I cook them, but typically get flare ups and char on that so I can't honestly tell you why they turned out different. I didn't probe them or check temp at all, just took off and they were perfect. Kids even said much better than normal, mostly due to the juiciness vs the smoke but they did comment on the flavor. I really bought this for the ease of larger items on the smoking side, but the grill function left me extremely impressed.

Neighbors came over, they know nothing about grills and comments after looking were "its like a tank" and that "it would outlast my lifetime". Color me impressed for cook number one. Tomorrow will be the ribs....Saturday is the brisket. I shall update.

Got my pitts and Spitts maverick 1250 last week. LOVE it, have done brisket, pulled pork, chicken legs and flank steak tacos on it. The thing is amazing!

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. I've had my YS640 for almost a year and loving it, no regrets. Brisket, ribs, butt, chicken, steaks, deviled eggs, salmon, burgers all turned out great every time. All my friends love me! I try to clean the ashes out between every cook but not more than every other and have had not issues. It tends to over shoot the temp but then settles down on the mark and stays there unless you run out of pellets (ask me how I know) Cooking a brisket and butter chicken next weekend for wife's Birthday

Reactions: hardhead
Just an update. I did receive my rec today. Unfortunately its pouring out so i cant not put it together but happy it is here.
I also talked to rec tec and they apologized for the inconvenience. They are actually sending me a cover for the grill which is very nice of them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky