Your favorite cheeseburger cheese

Discussion in 'Beef' started by whistlepig, Jan 7, 2012.

1. I smoked my first burgers a couple of weeks ago and really liked 'em smoked. I was just wondering what kind of cheeses are good to try. I like Swiss, Provolone, and American cheese on my burgers. That's my total experience with cheese on burgers. There hundreds of different types of cheese to try and was wanting to try something new and was looking for some suggestions here.   

2. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Try pepper jack!  Only cheese I don't like on burgers is any type of blue cheese or very soft cheeses like Edam  Oh yea  Smoked Gouda is great

3. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I love a good cheddar or pepper jack. Also like to add jalopeno's to the burger with the pepper jack. If you are grilling them cracked black pepper topped with blue cheese is amazing.   

4. miamirick

miamirick Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

i'm with scar   jalapenos and pepperjack are the way to go with a fat onion slice and mustard

5. brian

brian Fire Starter

GOAT!!!!!

6. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

I use Kraft Black Label Extra Sharp Cheddar and Cooper Sharp American. I like Port Wine Wispride Spread as well. Brie is supposed to be good but I never tried it and as far as Blue veined cheese goes Stilton is my first choice...JJ

7. I use a good well aged Cheddar cheese -- my twist on this is to mix the cheese with the meat to make what I would say is a 'real' cheeseburger [​IMG]   and not a piece of cheese on a burger [​IMG]

8. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

pepper jack!

have you try stuff burgers ? put the cheese and anything else you like on the inside then smoke it. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. zimq

zimq Smoke Blower

Try Gouda.

Nice smokey flavor to it that will compliment the burgers. 

If you want to take it a step farther... Burger topped ( or stuffed ) with leftover pulled pork, bbq sauce gouda, onion and a bun. Its a good pairing. 

10. Habanero Cheddar!

[​IMG]

11. I ordered a Stufz burger maker today .Looks like pepper jack is leading the pack right now. I did some cheese research tonight and pepper jack does go very well with jalapenos. I do like jalapenos. I'm trying to go back to basics. Get the cheese and meat right and then go on from there.   

12. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

that what I have and it works great !!!! 

don"t forget Q-view of the first stuff burgers

13. Another vote for Pepper Jack!

14. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Extra sharp cheddar.

15. Pepper jack with ketchup, mustard, lettuce  or Smoked gouda with sauteed mushrooms and onions.

16. tiki guy

tiki guy Smoking Fanatic

Blue Cheese Please !

17. rednecksmoker

rednecksmoker Newbie

I like Bleu Cheese myself, as well as, extra sharp cheddar, and horseradish cheddar.

18. ecto1

ecto1 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Colby Jack for the family Pepper jack for me.  It all depends on the toppings if you ever add Avacado you need to try a queso fresco with it. 

19. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

My best burger is with blue cheese and bacon.

20. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

pepper jack[​IMG]