Yes My First Whole Chicken- Brined and Smoked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks norman for the like and the comment

This will happen again, the ocean spray sounds good also.
How much of it do you use in the brine

David

3 parts water to 1 part juice. That can be adjusted to as that flavor is pretty potent and sweet or adjust the brown sugar amount a little.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
3 parts water to 1 part juice. That can be adjusted to as that flavor is pretty potent and sweet or adjust the brown sugar amount a little.
Perfect, thank you.

Was wondering about the amounts
As the brine I used did not have any juice , I just wanted to add a little for flavor. I can say it was not noticeable in the final product

David

First Whole Chicken- Brined and Smoked, could not believe it myself. LOL
Bought a couple 4 pounders ,

Did a basic Brine, chicken in bucket and in fridge for 24 hours
1 gal water
6 oz of Kosher salt
1/2 cup Brown sugar
2 oz of apple juice
1/2 onion diced

Dried of the bird and into the fridge for 20 hours ( work got in the way )
Patted dry again , Sprayed with Canola oil . Than coated with a rub I mixed up
Paprika, Summer savory and brown sugar

View attachment 640288 View attachment 640289
View attachment 640290 View attachment 640291

In the smoker with Cherry chips, at 370 - 375 Deg. Trying to reach 165 on breasts and 175 on the thighs

After the first hour
View attachment 640292

Just shy of 1 1/2 hours , the temps shot up fast in last 10 minutes. As you can see the Breasts were 174, thighs were 189 the smoker was at 371deg. and the building was at 73
View attachment 640293 View attachment 640294
View attachment 640295

Brought in the house and let it hang around for 15 minutes

Sliced it up , and this was/is the juiciest chicken and the best tasting chicken I have made to date

View attachment 640296
View attachment 640297
View attachment 640298

I will always brine if I have the time . This was fantastic . and Mona loved it also.

Thanks for looking and I am off to make a big smoked chicken sandwich

David
Mama has me do one of those every couple months to shred for Brunswick stew. looks good.

Thanks for the comment

That sounds very good ,
I've also used cured chicken parts for my Chicken stew and dough boys. Adds a whole new flavor to stew

David
since i was a squirt, we always just threw a chicken in a stock pot and boiled it for stew. A little smoke really perks up a pot of stew. That and fresh butter bens.

Thanks for the comment

That sounds very good ,
I've also used cured chicken parts for my Chicken stew and dough boys. Adds a whole new flavor to stew

David
Heck yeah! Pops brine (I like the low salt) is KILLER for that.

Congrats on the ride, well deserved! Looks stellar. Huge fan of brining or injecting, no way I'd run bird without. I am hooked on dry brining now and find it easier/faster to do. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/wood-fired-yardbird.314837/

Heck yeah! Pops brine (I like the low salt) is KILLER for that.

Congrats on the ride, well deserved! Looks stellar. Huge fan of brining or injecting, no way I'd run bird without. I am hooked on dry brining now and find it easier/faster to do. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/wood-fired-yardbird.314837/

Thanks Sam for the comment

Yes a good brine , and I have done both wet and dry on a few things

I remember that link/post you added . nice chicken
I have done lots of drums with a wet brine also

David

Reactions: zwiller
What can I say that hasn't already been said? That bird looks fantastic. the color on that thing is what magazine and TV ads are made of. Simply gorgeous!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky