Yep, another Duck post.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon, folks.
Every time I go to the grocery I look for something to use my new rotisserie for. I've looked at Duck in the past but the price threw me off and I worried about whether we would like it.
The Mrs. had never had it and it had been years since I did. On impulse I picked one up.
duck.jpg
Then it was a matter of recipes. I had no idea where to start. I found one on Allrecipes that looked interesting.
Things went off the rails quickly. It called for an Orange and I couldn't buy just one or two so I went with Mandarins
because my wife loves them. It also called for fresh Cranberries and GrandMarnier Orange Liqueur for the glaze. They didn't have fresh cranberries and I didn't want to run around town looking so I figured I could soak dried ones and make it work.
I gritted my teeth and plopped down $13 for a half pint of the GrandMarnier.
I peeled 3 Mandarins and cut the sections in half, sectioned a sweet Onion and stuffed them in the cavity.
Then I stitched up the openings so things wouldn't fall out, leaving room for the spit.
A seamstress I ain't....
tied.jpg tied 2.jpg on the spit.jpg
I forgot to dust the inside with Chinese Five Spice before stuffing, even though the jar was right there on the counter.
I told you things went off the rails.
Time to hang it on the KUDU and spin with a dusting of SPOG.
Tossed a rack of St Louis ribs on the Weber in case the Duck bombed.
spinning.jpg
After about 3 hours the IT of the thigh was at 140F so It was time to glaze.
The Cranberry glaze didn't look right to me. Too chunky (probably because it was meant for a roaster pan), so I made one up with Maple Syrup, Molasses,
Karo Syrup and a shot of the GrandMarnier with a bit of my Pork rub mixed in.
I know some say rare is best for Duck, but all the recipes I looked at called for 165F and the package actually called for 180F.
I erred on the side of caution because I knew the Mrs. wouldn't touch it if it didn't look done and I wasn't crazy about it either.
It got away from me and when I pulled it off the flame the breast was 172F and the thigh was 180F.
done bird.jpg
I still had a fire going so I switched the ribs to the fire and tossed on the Peppers.
ribs and peppers.jpg ribs done.jpg
I can't cut up a bird without destroying it, especially when it's this tender.
There's some missing because I have a bad habit of nibbling while cutting and the Mrs. wanted a plate RIGHT NOW.
cut up.jpg
I was worried about the higher finish IT but it was moist and tender as can be. We didn't even use the packet of Orange sauce
that came with it. We may tonight. There are definitely leftovers!
I know you're supposed to have brown rice or something with Duck but we had macaroni salad, slaw and cheesy peppers. Sorry.
plate.jpg
All told, when we do Duck again (and we will) I'll probably use the same routine.
The GrandMarnier resides now in my spice cabinet...
I hope everyone is having a nice Holiday but don't forget what it's all about.
Remember those who sacrifice to keep us safe and free.
Thanks for looking and don't let your fire go out!
Dan

Last edited:
That duck looks good from my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokyMose
Thanks, Bear! It was a bit of a comedy of errors but it worked out :-)

I never had any store-bought Duck. Yours look Great !!
There used to be a bunch of small ponds on PA State land, that my Dad & I used to sneak up on & get a few Wild Ducks now & then. Then they flooded that whole area to make Lake Nockamixon, and that ended that little game we had going!!

Bear

Reactions: SmokyMose
I never had any store-bought Duck. Yours look Great !!
There used to be a bunch of small ponds on PA State land, that my Dad & I used to sneak up on & get a few Wild Ducks now & then. Then they flooded that whole area to make Lake Nockamixon, and that ended that little game we had going!!

Bear
Little story. A LONG time ago a friend and I were walking around with a couple of guns around a lake where he was renting from a farmer just shooting at stuff.
We saw a couple of Mallards on the other side of the lake and I lobbed a 16GA slug across the lake just to see it splash and scare them.
To my surprise it landed smack on one of them! My friend then informed me that I had killed one of his landlord's pet ducks.
Well, we fished it out fast and I took it home and spent most of the evening cleaning and plucking it. PITA.
After cooking all I remember is that it was greasy as all get out. That's the only Duck I had before this....

Reactions: Bearcarver
Little story. A LONG time ago a friend and I were walking around with a couple of guns around a lake where he was renting from a farmer just shooting at stuff.
We saw a couple of Mallards on the other side of the lake and I lobbed a 16GA slug across the lake just to see it splash and scare them.
To my surprise it landed smack on one of them! My friend then informed me that I had killed one of his landlord's pet ducks.
Well, we fished it out fast and I took it home and spent most of the evening cleaning and plucking it. PITA.
After cooking all I remember is that it was greasy as all get out. That's the only Duck I had before this....

LOL---Who Me?? What Duck? I didn't see no Duck!!
This may be hard to believe, but When I was in. my 20s, trout fishing with My Dad, We were separated, and I saw a Rabbit across the creek (about 20 Feet). Always loving being a Pitcher, I figured I'd see how close I could get with a Rock about the size of a Baseball. I threw it & by dumb luck, I hit the Rabbit in the head. I gutted it out & put it in my Creel. About an hour or so later I ran into my Dad, and he showed me his creel, with 3 nice Rainbows in it. I told him I only had one, but it was a lot bigger than any of his. I opened my creel & showed him, and told him what happened. He said, "Don't get caught----At this time of year the Daily Limit on Bunnies is "Zero".

Bear

LOL---Who Me?? What Duck? I didn't see no Duck!!
This may be hard to believe, but When I was in. my 20s, trout fishing with My Dad, We were separated, and I saw a Rabbit across the creek (about 20 Feet). Always loving being a Pitcher, I figured I'd see how close I could get with a Rock about the size of a Baseball. I threw it & by dumb luck, I hit the Rabbit in the head. I gutted it out & put it in my Creel. About an hour or so later I ran into my Dad, and he showed me his creel, with 3 nice Rainbows in it. I told him I only had one, but it was a lot bigger than any of his. I opened my creel & showed him, and told him what happened. He said, "Don't get caught----At this time of year the Daily Limit on Bunnies is "Zero".

Bear
LOL! Not hard to believe. S**t happens!
Love those memories....

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky