Yeast Shortage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BandCollector BandCollector If you have self rising flower and a 12 oz can of beer here is a recipe for "Beer Bread" that we just did and it tastes fantastic. And is so easy as you do not need anything other than a mixing bowl and loaf pan and it gets done in your oven as the yeast in the beer does the work.

3 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
12 oz beer

Stir all ingredients in bowl until tacky mixture
Bake in greased loaf pan @ 350 for 1 hour then put butter on top for last 10 minutes of bake time.

That's it....easy peasy. :emoji_astonished:

@tx smoker give this a try.

View attachment 437447

WOW! I am really surprised it works. Commercially produced Beer is Pasteurized and I would have bet the Farm that the Yeast is killed off. But hey, if it works, it works and I am impressed. A Stout Rye would make some tasty Rubens....JJ

Too slow on the reply. (Defrosting the upright freezer between reading posts.)
Typical self rising flour recipe is 1 cup AP flour and 1-1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.
I don't want the excess sodium so I omit the salt and cut the baking powder to a heaping teaspoon per cup of AP flour

WOW! I am really surprised it works. Commercially produced Beer is Pasteurized and I would have bet the Farm that the Yeast is killed off. But hey, if it works, it works and I am impressed. A Stout Rye would make some tasty Rubens....JJ
I like the idea of using the stout rye for Rubens but it's not the yeast in the beer it's the carbonation, you could get the same results using club soda or seltzer water.:emoji_thumbsup:

I'm not sure if you guys have a Cash & Carry or Smart & Final out your way or not. I just got a 2lb block of Red Star yeast for under $8.00 . And they had plenty of yeast and 25lb bags of AP and bread flour and several 10 lb bags of AP flour.

Here ya go...

This exactly how I feed and store my starter.
My starter was given to me by my friend Anthony Falco from Roberta's Pizza in Brooklyn NY.
I meet Anthony a few years ago at a pizza class I was taking at the Napa Valley Culinary Institute in Napa CA.
I was able to talk him out of 150 Grams of his starter which wasn't easy........LOL.
Pizza made with sourdough starter is off the charts better than any yeast dough that I've ever had.
And it's so simple to maintain that even I have been able to keep it going.
You don't kneed* to feed it daily unless you bake every day it stays alive in the refer for a long time, even though I feed mine every two week when I'm not using it.

One tip that is very helpful is use organic AP white flour not the stuff that most of us have in our pantry at home, although that will work in a pinch. The reason that you don't want to use bleached AP flour is most of it is bromated, what is bromated flour?
" Potassium Bromate may be a CARCINOGEN in humans since it has been shown to cause kidney, thyroid, and gastrointestinal cancer in animals. * Many scientists believe there is no safe level of exposure to a carcinogen. Such substances may also have the potential for causing reproductive damage in humans."

Yeah, like I want that crap in my food.....nope I'll pass.

I'll pay an extra $7.00 for 25 lbs of local CA organic flour for the rest of my life and so should you in my opinion.

Enjoy, working dough is super relaxing too me, learn not to fight it and you will be light years ahead of most home bakers and pizza makers.
Dan:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Oh, and at tip I got from Anthony, don't throw out your extra starter pour it onto some parchment paper and let it dry out then grind it into a fine powder in a coffee grinder and store it in the freezer. It's called an emergency starter. Just in case your starter dies you can take your emergency starter out of the freezer and reconstitute it and keep the same strain going for a lifetime.

Last edited:
I think that is what I said in my post but I could be mistaken.
"One tip that is very helpful is use organic AP white flour not the stuff that most of us have in our pantry at home, although that will work in a pinch. The reason that you don't want to use bleached AP flour is most of it is bromated, what is bromated flour?

As far as cultures go true I now have a true San Francisco sourdough starter with superb genes.
But as far as the origin of this culture it is a known excellent performer and many Chefs that have discussed this culture in my classes have all agreed that by it traveling to so many different states and countries in its early years that it could only do one thing and that is strengthen it because of the diverse yeasts it has collected, I think I'll go by what they say....not trying to be disrespectful by any means.

My wife was reading an article explaining the flour and yeast shortages. Apparently with so many people off work and lots of spare time on their hands they are making bread. The article goes on to surmise that once people see empty shelves of flour, yeast, TP then a herd mentality kicks in and panic buying happens. Don’t know if it’s true but it makes sense.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky