YARDISTRY 12X16 CEDAR GAZEBO FROM COSTCO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Holy cow, now that is a project... "we'll just pick it up from Costo" - famous last words, hah hah!

Question Al, have you got it anchored to a slab or into the ground? We get some nasty winds here in FL. Working on a project now with some exposed exterior technology elements for a client in Orlando, and we are working to a 144mph wind rating.

Holy cow, now that is a project... "we'll just pick it up from Costo" - famous last words, hah hah!

Question Al, have you got it anchored to a slab or into the ground? We get some nasty winds here in FL. Working on a project now with some exposed exterior technology elements for a client in Orlando, and we are working to a 144mph wind rating.
yeah costco here did not even help us load it in a van, at least some nice guy stopped when he saw my wife and I having trouble. Getting it out of the van took my wife, me and a neighbor lady to slide one box at a time onto a car creeper and move it in the garage.

For me I am anchoring 2 of the posts to my paver patio and the other 2 I poured 14" x 24" concrete footers.
WOW Cliff, so far I haven’t cut myself yet. I can’t do that kind of work with gloves on. And my Son is going to visit us in a couple of weeks & he is a contractor, so he can put the electric, fan & lights up, while I watch & drink a beer! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al
That will be nice. For to get the electric I have to trench and pipe from the nearest outlet that is at least 20' away....that project is going to wait.

Our’s is attached into a 4” slab with 3/8 x 3 “ Tapcons. I don’t think this thing woulld move in a hurricane! Actually it is built stronger than my house,
Al

Attachments

• 628A52C3-CD65-4530-BA73-DA3B2867758E.jpeg
    628A52C3-CD65-4530-BA73-DA3B2867758E.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 7CF58CE5-0307-4B58-9F5E-7AF5360233A7.jpeg
    7CF58CE5-0307-4B58-9F5E-7AF5360233A7.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: mcokevin
Al is this on your driveway?
Well the wood & metal is in my carport, but we are taking the wood we need out to the back yard & building it there. I have to say that it is bigger than you think. I am still a bit intimidated, but we will carry on!

Well the wood & metal is in my carport, but we are taking the wood we need out to the back yard & building it there. I have to say that it is bigger than you think. I am still a bit intimidated, but we will carry on!
I actually wished it was bigger 10 x 16 or 18 would have been great

Roof panels all done, hopefully Sunday I get help to finish up. I bet I could put this together in less than half the time if I had to do it again.
67416760759__03AA7A1A-392D-49AF-A1EA-0F4CD5AC0627.jpg

Looks good Cliff, we are ready to put it up now too, but the guys aren’t available until Sunday afternoon. We almost bought a 12x20, and I’m glad we didn’t. The 12x16 fits perfectly in the space we have. So we are taking today off & resting. I also agree with you, after you build one of these the next one would be a lot easier. Good luck & I guess we will be sitting in our gazebo’s on Sunday!
Al

Reactions: clifish
Looks like that a feat to put up. Going to enjoy it once done. How did things go with the Hail damage?
I imagine with some of the giant hail I have heard about it would not do well. I don't Al has much to worry about, even here in NY I have never seen hail large enough to damage my jeep.

I imagine with some of the giant hail I have heard about it would not do well. I don't Al has much to worry about, even here in NY I have never seen hail large enough to damage my jeep.
Talking about this:

Talking about this:

Thankfully we don't get big stones, and I think this thing will take 2-3 feet of snow on top

Looks like that a feat to put up. Going to enjoy it once done. How did things go with the Hail damage?

I’m still dealing with the insurance co.. A lot of the people in my community are just letting their ins. companies send out their contractors & saying they will fix everything. But they are out of state contractors & if something goes wrong in 6 months who do you call? So I’m going to have my ins. Co send me a check & I’ll hire locals that have been here in business for decades. You can’t believe the con men that have descended on our small town due to a 9 minute hail storm!
Al

Well this is a project I would not want to do again, had 3 guys total, luckily one of them has done this twice before. Total PIA, I was 3/4" out of square at the top and it showed by making the roof panels tough to line up. the last ridge vent/cover would not slide all the way to the top so I will have to cut it at the bottom. I hope this does not cause leaking at the top. Well at least we have sun and shade by the pond/pool! Now slamming some beers and going into the hot tub.

Al How did it go on your end?
IMG_3880(4).jpg

Well this is a project I would not want to do again, had 3 guys total, luckily one of them has done this twice before. Total PIA, I was 3/4" out of square at the top and it showed by making the roof panels tough to line up. the last ridge vent/cover would not slide all the way to the top so I will have to cut it at the bottom. I hope this does not cause leaking at the top. Well at least we have sun and shade by the pond/pool! Now slamming some beers and going into the hot tub.

View attachment 631957
Looking good, nice to have some shade by the pool! I see yours is still covered though - when do you open them up in NY?

I normally would have by now and flipped on the heater but, the oak trees just started dropping the "hairy" things that would over run the skimmers. I am hoping this week to the weekend. I want to crank temp to at least 88 and start to use it.

View attachment 631957

Well the guys didn’t show up until 2:00 PM & the sun was out & the temps were in the 90’s with zero wind. So we got everything up that needed to have more than a couple of senior citizens doing it. Now Judy & I can finish it ourselves tomorrow. Ours is a bit different than yours, but it sounds like we had the same problems. I’m with you, this is a once in a lifetime build.
2FC51896-7A10-4F8D-9B6A-2C20E2AB77A1.jpeg

2E0DE55A-4607-4A81-A09E-F35ABD37988B.jpeg

F75AE4BD-01F7-4F8E-AC86-09713F5D23DA.jpeg

56469A4E-C230-4825-BE37-4DC67FEEAAF6.jpeg

But I’m glad I did it!!
Al

Well the guys didn’t show up until 2:00 PM & the sun was out & the temps were in the 90’s with zero wind. So we got everything up that needed to have more than a couple of senior citizens doing it. Now Judy & I can finish it ourselves tomorrow. Ours is a bit different than yours, but it sounds like we had the same problems. I’m with you, this is a once in a lifetime build.
View attachment 631959
View attachment 631960
View attachment 631961
View attachment 631958

But I’m glad I did it!!
Al
Very nice. I wish mine was bigger than the 12 x 14 but it is what they stock. Most of the bad reviews were shipping damage so I did not want to order it. I wish Costco offered assembly I would have paid for that.
Glad it is done (almost) for the both of us so we can enjoy it.

Yea, looks awesome and very sturdy. Looks like it will last a long time. We need one of those but for a different reason, rain.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky