Yankee in The Great Nation of TX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dlm79

Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Good morning all -

I am originally from DeeTroit (as my TX friends tell me I say it), but have been living in N TX the past 4yrs. I have been smoking on and off for the past 7-8yrs, and cooking most of my life.

After a 2yr break from my offset smoker, due to the move (house to corp apt, ditched quite a bit of stuff), I bought a Weber WSM. I did a dozen or so smokes on it last year,  attempting to use the Minion Method. I got it the first and 4th time, but otherwise it was a temperature rollercoaster that kept me glued to the smoker. I do not blame the WSM - definitely user error. Obviously 100's / 1,000's of people have been very successful with the WSM, and I really liked the design.

That said, I got the green light from my wife to get a BGE this year, which I did about a month ago. So far, pretty good. I went with the XL, which has proven to have different dynamics than that of the L which most of my friends have (did not realize this when I bought it).

I do mostly L/S beef and pork cooks, but I will be branching out to fish soon. Not a lamb guy. I have also done several reverse sear grills over the past two weeks - awesome. For anyone familiar with TX steakhouses, I received the ultimate praise last night, "this is better than Pappas Bros"!

I am in the market for a digital thermometer connected to a blower. A buddy of mine does 20hr+ briskets without waking up once and I WANT THAT! He has the Guru. I have read some less than pleasant things about that on the forums here. I am not wed to a wifi product - though I do like the data dump with which they come. I have been checking out the Auber SYL PID, which would work fine with my iDevices controller. As someone said, why do you need to monitor it from another county, it's too late by time you get there...

I will be reading more, and most likely pinging folks for their thoughts. 

Thanks al -

dlm

welcome1.gif
  to SMF!

Glad to have you aboard!

I've had a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 for several years. 

Never had a problem with it, not even a bad probe wire.

Al

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

If you stay in Texas long enough you can become an Honorary Texan. 

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky