• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

WSM with Guru

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 7, 2017
They sure are great! I have one for my WSM also!

Colin1230

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2021
Yep, that's a good deal.
I took advantage of Thermoworks sale a couple of months ago on Smoke X2 and Billows.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I’ve had one for several years, mine is a DX2, but it is at least 7 years old & I still am using the original probe wires. I paid extra to get the 10’ one’s. But I have not had one problem with it. All night smokes with the WSM/Guru is a whole lot better flavor wise than a pellet pooper or an MES with an AMNPS in it. And I have gone 22 hours without adding any charcoal or wood, but that was in the summer in Florida. So the Guru didn’t have to work too much to maintain 225. Great setup, & great company to work with.
Al

Workaholic

Smoke Blower
Joined May 12, 2019
I will have to keep this in mind. I want one for my WSM, just haven't bit the bullet yet. Not having to worry about the temp for longer cooks would be amazing.

Colin1230

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2021
Lots of happy Guru owners here. It's a good product that has everything you need and nothing you don't.

WaterinHoleBrew

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Recently picked up a DX3 for $175 from a guy that used it a few times, then wanted to change to a pellet smoker! Looking forward to setting it up on the WSM!

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Guess it would work good on just about any charcoal or wood smoker.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
No problems WIHB, Heck I don't even have a cell phone. We still use a rotary phone in our house.

Chris

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Totally respect that Chris! I picked it up due to it was barely used and will be helpful on overnight smokes!
Yeah I use to. Still do when grilling. Just nice knowing you can go all day or night without tinkering when smoking. Had a lot of stick burning in the past!

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Loved my Dx2. Temp probe failed earlier this year after several years. Haven't replaced it and went back to the WSM's natural qualities, even on overnight smokes.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 7, 2016
I'm curious...I'm able to tweak my WSM and hold temps at 250ish for up to 12 hours without touching anything. What's the point of a controller when I can already do that?

SlowmotionQue

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 6, 2019
I'm curious...I'm able to tweak my WSM and hold temps at 250ish for up to 12 hours without touching anything. What's the point of a controller when I can already do that?
Depends on what you mean by "ish".

Below is a 15hr plus cook. Running a Fireboard 2 controller and BBQ guru fans. Running at 225°F until I jack it up near the end of the cook to 250°F.

While I certainly do not doubt that it can be done, but holding 250 for 12 hrs by setting the vents in one place and never touching them again, all that I can say is, there may be some who can do that, but I can't.

And so I use a controller.

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 1.54.46 PM.jpg
I'm holding 225 plus or minus 5° in the graph below running a Fireboard 2 and BBQ Guru fans, and when I jack it up to 250° for the end of the cook, you can see what happens.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.