WSM with Guru

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
20210530_072731.jpg 20210530_073939.jpg

Reactions: yankee2bbq
I’ve had one for several years, mine is a DX2, but it is at least 7 years old & I still am using the original probe wires. I paid extra to get the 10’ one’s. But I have not had one problem with it. All night smokes with the WSM/Guru is a whole lot better flavor wise than a pellet pooper or an MES with an AMNPS in it. And I have gone 22 hours without adding any charcoal or wood, but that was in the summer in Florida. So the Guru didn’t have to work too much to maintain 225. Great setup, & great company to work with.
Al

Lots of happy Guru owners here. It's a good product that has everything you need and nothing you don't.

Reactions: Workaholic
Recently picked up a DX3 for $175 from a guy that used it a few times, then wanted to change to a pellet smoker! Looking forward to setting it up on the WSM!

Reactions: Colin1230
No problems WIHB, Heck I don't even have a cell phone. We still use a rotary phone in our house.

Chris

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Totally respect that Chris! I picked it up due to it was barely used and will be helpful on overnight smokes!
Yeah I use to. Still do when grilling. Just nice knowing you can go all day or night without tinkering when smoking. Had a lot of stick burning in the past!

I'm curious...I'm able to tweak my WSM and hold temps at 250ish for up to 12 hours without touching anything. What's the point of a controller when I can already do that?

Depends on what you mean by "ish".

Below is a 15hr plus cook. Running a Fireboard 2 controller and BBQ guru fans. Running at 225°F until I jack it up near the end of the cook to 250°F.

While I certainly do not doubt that it can be done, but holding 250 for 12 hrs by setting the vents in one place and never touching them again, all that I can say is, there may be some who can do that, but I can't.

And so I use a controller.

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 1.54.46 PM.jpg
I'm holding 225 plus or minus 5° in the graph below running a Fireboard 2 and BBQ Guru fans, and when I jack it up to 250° for the end of the cook, you can see what happens.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky