WSM Thin Blue Smoke Kissing a Meatloaf......Ahhhhh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I've run errands, set up the WSM, built a meatloaf, and put the finishing touches on a short story I've written for a writer's critique group this evening.

I got up from my computer and walked into the kitchen, looking out the window to see thin blue smoke escaping from my WSM, highlighted by the summer sun. I stopped and watched, hypnotized by the wisps. I had to grab my camera.

This is TBS for those new folks who wonder. Pics of the meatloaf will follow later.

Happy Thursday, folks.

Ray

Looks like I need to wash my smoker.....but not today.

002.JPG

The meatloaf is done and resting. One of my meatloaf recipes is what I call an "Italian Meatloaf." I use ground chuck, ground pork, and Italian seasoned ground turkey. Heck, I doubt Italians make meatloaf, or have Italian turkeys, but I'm half-Italian, and this one has the tomatoes and spices in it, so, Italian Meatloaf. Plus, I make a tomato gravy out of the fat. All together, it kind of tastes like something half-way between Italian meatballs and a standard meatloaf.

Here's what it looked like at an IT of 157F, 1:40 minutes after loading in the WSM. I got busy and missed my "icing" window of 145F, but it will still work.

003.JPG

Lots of folks would call the above meatloaf done when it hits 160F, no icing. We use a chunky tomato icing on top (drained diced tomatoes, 6 oz can of tomato paste, 1 Tbs sugar) instead of a ketchup base. When applied at 140-145F IT, it dries out a bit and "cracks" nicely by the time the IT is 160-165F. Below are the pics right after I applied the icing, and when I took it off the smoker. Not much change.

005.JPG

007.JPG

Little bit of a smoke ring.

009.JPG

All that fat gets sucked out of the pan, and that's what I use to make a tomato gravy. I add a little butter and flour to the hot drippings to make a roux, then some chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, depending on my mood, plus the juices from drained diced tomatoes. Add a little Italian seasoning if needed, and forget about ketchup.

Thanks for the likes and thanks for looking!

Ray

TBS is a thing of beauty. Oh yeah, nice looking loaf . Lol

Nothing better then a good smoked meatloaf. Never thought about using turkey. I usually go with beef, veal and pork. Something new to think about.

Point for sure.

Chris

Nothing better then a good smoked meatloaf. Never thought about using turkey.

I agree completely about smoked meatloaf. I'll get lazy, or too busy, on occasion and make on in the oven. I always regret it afterwards.

The only thing is you have to add some fat if you use turkey in the mix, especially if it's the lean turkey.

Wow Ray, that meatloaf looks fantastic!
Gonna give your icing a try one my next one!!
And congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

Great looking meatloaf!
I’m sure with that thin blue smoke it tasted fantastic!!
Congratulations on making the carousel!!!

Thanks, Al and Xendau! Imagine my surprise when I opened SMF, and there was the meatloaf!

With dinner last night, and sandwiches today, it only going to survive one more meal.

Happy Labor Day Weekend, everyone!

Ray

Loaf looks good. Also looks like you have a hell of a lot of leaf raking to do!!! haha!

HA! We gave up on raking the leaves long ago. I blow them off the patio and let the ground under the tree run go "au natural." The tree, a white oak, is 300-500 years old. Our neighbors have all done things under the tree, so we don't do anything to ensure it gets the nourishment it needs.

Last edited:
I’m a meatloaf junkie lol that looks fantastic. I’m going to be smoking a meatloaf tonight. I hope mine turns out almost as good as yours looks. Congrats on making the carousel!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky