WSM Experiment with Two Pork Butts - Interesting Result!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I overnight, dry smoke pork butts in my 22.5" WSM, usually two at a time. It gives me plenty of leftovers and lots to freeze. Usually the drippings fall into the empty water bowl and get burned up by the direct heat. Last night I thought I'd try something new.

I have a 20" round cake pan I bought years ago that was sitting unused. Last night I decided to put it to work and see what impact it would have on cook time and end result. I put three cement bricks on the lower grate, then put the cake pan on the bricks. There was a little less than an inch of free space all around cake pan.

I fired up the WSM with a little more than a half load of used RO briquettes, and over-topped it with a load of new RO briquettes. I buried 6 big hunks of hickory in the charcoal and made a dimple in the middle of the pile. All vents closed except the top vent. I loaded 6 hot RO briquettes in the dimple and left for a three hour critique meeting for my novel.

When I returned three hours later at 9:00 PM, the WSM was smoking along at 175F, exactly where I expected it to be. That's how I smoke jerky. I reset the lower vents for 225F, pulled the 10.3 lb and 9.8 lb butts out of the cooler, generously massaged them with rub, and loaded them in the smoker. The smoker temp was only 190F when I loaded the meat at 9:30, but came up to 225F over a couple of hours. Time for nighty night.

I woke up this morning at 6 AM. The WSM was cruising along at 229F. I went about my business, knocking the ash off at 8 AM. At 9:30 AM I inserted the meat probes and loaded another full chimney of hot briquettes to ramp up the chamber temp. (The only time I have to add more new briquettes is when my start load is 1/2 used or more.)

End result? Both butts finished at the same time. The cake pan has unburned drippings I can use, and the color turned out mahogany instead of meteorite black. That last point was interesting because usually my finished butts are black as coal. The bark is slightly softer, like I've seen when I wrap the butts in butcher paper. They're both taking a nap now after working in the heat all night, but dinner's looking mighty fine.

Have a GREAT weekend!

CIMG0043.JPG

Last edited:
how's the cake pan looking? i'm guessing it took on more of the smoke "flavor" aka creosote?

Thanks, all. The color and softer bark for unwrapped butts was a complete surprise. Total smoke time 15.25 hours, which was a little faster than I expected. After loading the full chimney of hot charcoal this morning, the chamber temp settled in at 265F. The three concrete bricks were extra mass, so that might have influenced the chamber. Overall, tasty experiment. 11.5 lbs finished product. A loss of 43% from the 20.1 lb starting weight. Might have to dig the bones out of the trash and see what they weigh. I've never weighed the bones.

Edit: bones weighed 3.6 and 4.1 oz.

Reactions: Workaholic
Looks great!

Sounds like the vaporized drippings are contributing to the black coating from prior smokes. Interesting.

Also my wife would have a stroke if I took one of her Wilton cake pans and put it in the smoker. She is particularly picky about those pans!

Hey, I found the black meteorite...stuck to the cake pan! The PP still tastes smoky and delicious, but the black ain't on the pork. The white patches on the bottom of the pan are where it rested on the cement bricks.

Soooo, since the color turned out beautifully, it was due to one of two things I did differently this time from the dozens of times I've smoked pork butt. First, I added a cake pan to add as another heat diffuser. Second, I didn't load the meat until 3 1/2 hours after I started the fire due to scheduling issues. I'll bet it's the late meat load. I usually wait an hour to 90 minutes. Guess I've got more experimenting to do!

20190803_162815.jpg

Those butts look really good Ray - excellent color. I normally just foil over the water pan leaving an air gap between the foil and the pan. It works like an insulator, or I'll use a disposable aluminum pan with a small amount of liquid in it sitting on the lower rack..

Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Thanks all! Going to make carnitas this morning for breakfast after a quick trip to the store. BTW, that color is not enhanced or PS'd in any way. I don't take many pics these days because it's all old hat to me. I did notice a lighter color at 9:30 when I added the charcoal and meat probes, but the smoker was still in the shade. When I went outside to pull the butts off the WSM, the sun was shining on the smoker. I lifted the lid, my mouth fell open, and I literally said "Oh, my God! I gotta take a pic of this." Glad you all saw the magnificence of mahagony, too. I never got it, but I do now.

Those pork butts look amazing. I'd love for mine to turn out like that. I am curious though. How close to the butts was the cake pan? From the pictures, it looks like it's only a couple inches below them. Am I seeing that right?

I smoked a couple of racks of untrimmed spares this week and used the cake pan. I forgot it was still in the smoker. Just went out and looked. The rim of the pan is 2 inches below the top grate. The bottom of the pan is a couple inches below that.

Two inches of the thin edge of the spares was a bit overdone, but the rest was perfect.

Gotta clean that cake pan today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky