wood in the cook chamber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkee1533

Original poster
May 22, 2017
when i see pictures and videos of the larger restaurant cookers they always seem to have a couple pieces of wood in the first door of the smoker. why are they doing that? 

I can't say with certainty but the only thing I can think is they are pre-heating. With very large cookers the top of the firebox might be to hot.

Just a thought though.

bet you are right. didn't think about the top of the box being to hot. I've experienced that on my own smaller smoker. 

I can't say with certainty but the only thing I can think is they are pre-heating. With very large cookers the top of the firebox might be to hot.

Just a thought though.
thats what I think as well,  but it kind of fly in the face of "if you are looking you aint cookin" opening the cook chamber door everytime you need to add more wood seems kind of counter productive.

Some will use the stick to block direct heat from the meat. As in placing in front of the point on a brisket to keep the point from burning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky