Won't stay lit, even outside

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So just to update, the dogs got finished about an hour ago. No pics because it's just plain dogs, no rub or anything. The MES has been turned off, and inside temp has dropped to 147, and I'm still getting smoke from the AMNPS! I think problem solved!

Thanks DaveOmak for the info on the cherry pellets, I'm positive that was my issue all along.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions and ideas. I've only had the MES for about two weeks and I'm pretty sure I'm in a much better position to use it now. I've still got the Weber and smokenator, but I'm now more confident that I can get quality smoke from the electric.

-Brett

You should be able to pull it out a bit, then rotate so the open slot is pointing down... You have to get past the "locking" position if I remember correctly....
I wasn't able to figure it out, so I just removed the loader all together. Since I'm not concerned about heat loss, I'm happy with the results. I'm not getting any smoke loss out the feeder tube either.

Brett, evening..... I just had a learning experience..... Put the bacon in the smoker and didn't get it up to ambient temp... air flow ran backwards due to the smoker colder than ambient.... I knew that ..... just forgot....

Brett, evening..... I just had a learning experience..... Put the bacon in the smoker and didn't get it up to ambient temp... air flow ran backwards due to the smoker colder than ambient.... I knew that ..... just forgot....
Good to know Dave, I'll have to remember that.

Just found out from a-maze-n the 5x8 doesnt work with most propane smokers during a hot smoke due to the flame fighting over the air with the smoker. You would think they would have thst in their ad. Anyhow i am out $40 for buying that piece of junk.

Just found out from a-maze-n the 5x8 doesnt work with most propane smokers during a hot smoke due to the flame fighting over the air with the smoker. You would think they would have thst in their ad. Anyhow i am out $40 for buying that piece of junk.
Smokedevil, good morning...    Sorry you are disappointed..  Todd does make a smoke generator that does work in gas smokers....    The Tube smoker...    The AMNPS also does not work well above 5,000' elevation because of the lack of oxygen...   CLICK on this link please....   http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm

Where are you located ??   are you near or above 5,000'.....

If you call Todd, at the number below, I'm sure he will help you out....

Let Us Help
  • A-MAZE-N Products, Inc. 
  • 1932 Shawnee Road, Eagan MN  55122-1032
  • Ph: 651.352.2831
  • Ph: 651.352.2831
  • Fax: 651.352.2871

Dave, i have been round and round with Todd. That tube woukd not work for me. First off i usually do long smokes and the tube is good for 4 hours. Secondly the tube costs $12 less than what i paid for the 5x8. Yes he said he would throw in some pellets but i don't need pellets i have 40 lbs of them. What really gets me about Todd and this situation is they knew what the problem was. But they don't put it in the description so you can make an informed decision. It would be like buying a car with no 2nd gear in the transmission. If you are driving fast enough you could get into 3rd with out stalling but normal driving would dtall it out every time.

Regatds Smokedevil

Dave, i have been round and round with Todd. That tube woukd not work for me. First off i usually do long smokes and the tube is good for 4 hours. Secondly the tube costs $12 less than what i paid for the 5x8. Yes he said he would throw in some pellets but i don't need pellets i have 40 lbs of them. What really gets me about Todd and this situation is they knew what the problem was. But they don't put it in the description so you can make an informed decision. It would be like buying a car with no 2nd gear in the transmission. If you are driving fast enough you could get into 3rd with out stalling but normal driving would dtall it out every time.

Regatds Smokedevil
Where do you live...   altitude ???

No problems with altitude or humidity...    Some folks have added an external chamber to make smoke...  then ducted the smoke above the burner...    In gassers, additional air inlets and exhaust holes are needed to provide adequate air flow for proper smoking of their foods.... 

I assume you added the AMNPS because you wanted better smoke...    The tube smoker, when placed on a food rack, with better ventilation should work well....

Albeit, modifications seem weird, but manufacturers of smokers, especially the mass market folks "usually" don't have a clue when it comes to smoking meats and build and sell a product that is somewhat deficient when it comes to folks like you and us that want something that works well....  Modifications or home engineered products become necessary...

If you want to improve your product and skills, you have come to the right place...

All of our members are willing to help you become and provide the best smoked foods in your neighborhood... 

Sorry you are having problems...   Stick with the folks here and there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel.....

The propane smoker is new to me. I have been using an old offset smoker for 10 years. I get together with friends and smoke up on average 6 to 8 pork butt at a time or 4 to 6 brisket. That way all my friends enjoy it too. But as I get older and the weather gets hotter, 120 here next week, I am down sizeing. What I wanted out of the 5x8 was the smoke time so I didn't have to keep adding wood all the time on long smokes.

You are correct about that....
I wish to thank you all for continuing this thread. I've been working with the 5X8 pellet tray for a bit over 2 weeks with nothing but failed attempts. Have been searching the threads here and found this one. What I learned is elevation is evidently a problem. I'm at a touch more than 7,200' in Southeastern NM. Does anyone have suggestions for better smoke at this altitude?

A-maze-N tube. It's made for higher altitudes and gas smokers.

Chris

Reactions: Atoparok
That's what I'm been reading. Would be nice if that was mentioned in the ANMPS documents. I've got temps and moisture control figured out here, but never thought about the difficulties in generating smoke. Hoping to hear from someone using the tube at 7,000 + feet. Also curious how the 'U-Bolt' mod has been working for some.

Beef Ribs 010.JPG . LEGS 1.jpg

Legs on the AMNPS solved my problems of the pellets quit burning... MORE AIR!!! Won't help you much at 7,200+' altitude... You need more oxygen...
Maybe a small, very small fan to help move more air to your AMNPS.. Too much and it will burst into flame...

AMNPS and TUBE 002.JPG

U-bolt elevates the tube and stops it from rolling around...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky