Wisconsin NEWBY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimc

Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Oconomowoc,WI
Hi ALL,

I just joined the forum after searching the internet for what type of smoker I wanted to get (build). 

This started a few weeks ago when I attended a party where the homeowner had a neighbor bring the meat (brisket). I have to say that it was the best tasting meat that I had ever eaten, and I am pushing 300 pounds, so I have eaten my share of meat! 

The guy that did the brisket does this professionally (part time) for parties and such, and I am not even sure what he did it in because he just brought the meat.

I have to admit that this site is awesome, so please do not take this as a cut, but rather as a constructive comment. I find the site a little hard to follow sometimes with all the abbreviations, and acronyms that are thrown around. Is this by design? or is it because it is a close knit group and you all speak the language? Maybe an area for the newby's to read through that has all of them and their definitions?

A thought for all you guys that have been here, and have vast amounts of knowledge on the subject of smokers. It would be nice for us newby's if there was a sticky after the name of the various type smokers in the forum headers that showed a rough sketch of that particular design, and a short description of how they work, and the benefits and short comings of that design? I have about 25-30 hours reading through the website, and I admit I am more confused now on what type of smoker I would want to build, maybe that is just me?

I have better than average fabricating skills, I have a torch, a mig welder, and a shop full of tools, so the actual project of putting it together will probably take less time than figuring out what to build. If there is a section that details the different type of smokers I missed it, please direct me to it so I can get on SMOKIN. Meanwhile, I am open to suggestions on what type is best. I will need something to feed a fairly large family, 4 married kids, and 8 grand kids that like to eat. So give me your best answers with a little reasoning please.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
Jim welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. Heres a link to a Wiki with all the abbreviations

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/acronyms

As far as the smokers go up and click on Smokers and More and then go to the Smoker section and check out all the different kinds you will also find lots of reviews of what people think of each model. I know theres a link to purchase most of them to but that area is still great for research then you can fab something like it. Most of them have pics. You can also check out the Smoker Build section of the site. Good luck with your decision and take lots of pics of your build and post them for us most of us really enjoy following the progress. Have fun and happy building

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF!

I can tell it won't be long and you'll be the one cooking them kick butt briskets.

pineywoods,

Thanks for the Wiki link, that will help a great deal.

I have looked through dozens and dozens of the various smoker builds, I think that is where I really became confused, (more than normal anyway) There is a lot of talent on this board! It is a little confusing when you try and absorb it all. But, I will eventually figure out what I want to do.

That is why I posted and asked for members idea's of what works best for the buck, and what a person is better off doing, build or buy?

I know that a question like that on this board is going to be like discussing religion or politics, we all have our own idea's and preferences.  But at this point I will consider all suggestions.

thanks, Jim

cool.gif

First off Welcome Jim to SMF. you'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to SMF Jim, as you have already found there is an unlimited amount of great information here and wonderful people to answer the questions you can't find on your own. 

Welcome Jim!

You'll like it here a lot!

There are a lot of great peeps here (peeps = people).

I know you knew what "peeps" means.

Here is an abbreviation that won't be on that Wiki list----"SOB"----

I know you think you know what that is, but you're wrong.

That is "Smoking Ohio Butcher".

He will be one of the many you will learn a lot from, like many of us did.

It's great having butchers on this forum. They are a great source of info.

Another butcher is "Pops". Try not to miss many of his posts!

Enjoy,

Bearcarver

JimC

First up, welcome to SMF, glad you joined us !!!

I have numerous smokers, each gets used but which one I pick to use depends on what I am smoking and how much time I am going to have to monitor the smokers temperature.

I have a large, home made vertical upright that is fueled with propane and is on a auto igniter and a thermostat, I like this one for doing sausage. Have a couple of MES's (electric) that are great to smoke with when I have other projects to tend too. My favorite to use for meals is charcoal/wood fueled such as a CGSP(horizontal with an offset firebox) or even as simple as a Weber using very little charcoal on the opposite side of the grill from where the product you are smoking is located on the grill.

My next smoker is going to be a UDS (vertical barrel), from my research they are very fuel (charcoal) efficient, hold steady temps for many hours and are relatively inexpensive to build.

I would suggest to you that putting a UDS together will have you smoking up briskets and other goodies for the family right now and give you more time to learn more and research the bigger smoker project. Heck, a guy can't have enough smokers !!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Hey Jim...welcome to the forum...I too am from WI...I am over near LaCrosse.  You'll learn alot here..just stick around a while.

Dan

Jim since you asked heres my thoughts decide what type smoker you'd be the most comfortable with electric, propane, charcoal or straight wood. If the answer is any of the first three I would look to see if I could find one cheap to start with. This will tell you whether or not your happy with the type you chose or if you want to try something different before going through all the time and effort to build one. Many of us have multiple smokers and many times they are different types

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky