Wings On New Grate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motocrash

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 25, 2017
Winchester,Va
I've been using my WSM 14 charcoal ring in the 22 kettle cooking wings for some time now. A full - more than full chimney of screaming hot coals dumped into it has been absolutely punishing the grate in the center. I'd been eyeballin' the Weber "Gourmet System" grate as a solution for while too. I received an Amazon gift card at Christmas and pulled the trigger.

I have a regimen of 1/4 lid rotation every 5 minutes, after 20 minutes, flip and continue lid rotation. This cooks them way more evenly. This is done WOT - Wide Open Throttle. They are usually done in 40-50 minutes.
Here is the setup as I was taking them off. Sorry, camera doesn't like to focus with the intense heat...
1642185611639.png

I've used a tweaked version of this rub found on the net for many years.

EPIC DRY RUB:
  • 1/2 Tbsp ancho chile pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 3/4 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 tsp chili powder
  • 3/4 tsp paprika
  • 3/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (less if you're worried about the heat level)
  • 1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dried ground thyme
On to the wings. Rubbed and in fridge for ~ 6 hrs, then massaged by the mahogany magic of 2 chunks of cherry.
1642185922470.png

1642185950119.png

The new grate is everything I'd hoped for. Heavy duty and very nice chrome. Wish they made it in stainless, I almost bought a stainless to cut a hole in the center of, but instant gratification with free money won the day.
Weber makes drop in accessories for this grate and I will be using a wok on it when the weather improves.

Last edited:
Nice! I got one of those grates from my wife for Christmas and what an upgrade. The steel is so much thicker. I cooked some ribeyes on there for a maiden voyage. What a difference. Excellent searing and I love that the vortex is no longer going to cook my grates. Those are some fine looking wings. Seems to me that new grate did you right. Take care.

G

Those wings are picture perfect . Straight up knowledge of cooking with fire .
Really nice work .
Thanks for posting .

You nailed them wings, looks delicious! I suddenly have a craving now!

Ryan

Wow, beautiful wings! Excellent cook! You guys have me talked into getting the upgrade. I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket too!

Those are some killer wings! I'll have to look into the grate for my 22" as I know what you mean about the vortex punishing it.

I’ve really been craving wings for a few weeks. Those really make we need some soon. As someone else said, Picture perfect wings.

Excellent searing and I love that the vortex is no longer going to cook my grates. Those are some fine looking wings.
Thanks RS, I haven't tried to sear on it it yet. Weber makes a sear grate that fits it. I have a 90's vintage Weber cast iron grate I use when I want a good sear. Don't why they stopped making it, they'd sell. It has flip up sides too.
1642202038266.png

Those wings are picture perfect . Straight up knowledge of cooking with fire .
Really nice work .
Thanks for posting .
Thanks Rich, they come out good using the lid turn method. Cooking with fire is an acquired skill that seems to be becoming a lost art with the set and forget technologies of a lot of back yard cooks.

Reactions: chopsaw
Wow, beautiful wings! Excellent cook! You guys have me talked into getting the upgrade. I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket too!
Thank you Jed. The rods on it are .22" and beautifully chromed. I believe the Weber stainless is heavy duty too.

I've been using my WSM 14 charcoal ring in the 22 kettle cooking wings for some time now. A full - more than full chimney of screaming hot coals dumped into it has been absolutely punishing the grate in the center. I'd been eyeballin' the Weber "Gourmet System" grate as a solution for while too. I received an Amazon gift card at Christmas and pulled the trigger.

I have a regimen of 1/4 lid rotation every 5 minutes, after 20 minutes, flip and continue lid rotation. This cooks them way more evenly. This is done WOT - Wide Open Throttle. They are usually done in 40-50 minutes.
Here is the setup as I was taking them off. Sorry, camera doesn't like to focus with the intense heat...
View attachment 522104

I've used a tweaked version of this rub found on the net for many years.

EPIC DRY RUB:
  • 1/2 Tbsp ancho chile pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 3/4 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 tsp chili powder
  • 3/4 tsp paprika
  • 3/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (less if you're worried about the heat level)
  • 1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dried ground thyme
On to the wings. Rubbed and in fridge for ~ 6 hrs, then massaged by the mahogany magic of 2 chunks of cherry.
View attachment 522105
View attachment 522106
The new grate is everything I'd hoped for. Heavy duty and very nice chrome. Wish they made it in stainless, I almost bought a stainless to cut a hole in the center of, but instant gratification with free money won they day.
Weber makes drop in accessories for this grate and I will be using a wok on it when the weather improves.
That’s very impressive. I love the look of those wings. Great job.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky