Wings On New Grate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Da Wings Da Wings
Great spicing
I have a regimen of 1/4 lid rotation every 5 minutes, after 20 minutes, flip and continue lid rotation. This cooks them way more evenly. This is done WOT - Wide Open Throttle. They are usually done in 40-50 minutes.
I have often wished for 2 wheels in the lid.
I could tell the vintage of your kettle by the handle. I replaced my curb find kettle handle with a modern Weber handle I got from local box store for $1 off the discount bin. The tool hooks were worth the $1 upgrade,
Tried it on the lid handle, but wow it got hot. Went back to the wood

Great looking wings Moto.

I looked up the grate on amazon. Weber sure is proud of it especially since it's not stainless.

Looking through their compatible accessories, it's like checking out accessories for a Big Green Egg, (or any of the ceramic cookers, for that matter), Your original purchase is just the tip of the iceberg.

I'll have to look for the upgraded grate . Curious to see how the wok works .
Yup , that's perfect fire management . I have buddy that never uses enough charcoal . We go to deer camp I bring a bunch with me . Load that kettle up and get it screamin hot , flames a flyin . Brats , steaks , chicken . He always says how good it is .
Let me know if you get in the market for some handles . Not exact replicas , but pretty close .
1642254653051.jpeg

Reactions: sawhorseray
I'll have to look for the upgraded grate . Curious to see how the wok works .
Yup , that's perfect fire management . I have buddy that never uses enough charcoal . We go to deer camp I bring a bunch with me . Load that kettle up and get it screamin hot , flames a flyin . Brats , steaks , chicken . He always says how good it is .
Let me know if you get in the market for some handles . Not exact replicas , but pretty close .
View attachment 522261
Buddies have told me - "Damn, you use a lot of charcoal!". I tell them - well, would you put just enough gas in your car to get where you're going?
Funny, I was just telling my brother while cooking these wings that my handles could use some love - sanding and Valspar. Your handles look nice, I might just take you up on a few....

Some really nice work on those wings, they look great! The Vortex has been doing a number on my grill, eating it up, time to shop! RAY

Da Wings Da Wings
Great spicing
I have often wished for 2 wheels in the lid.
I could tell the vintage of your kettle by the handle. I replaced my curb find kettle handle with a modern Weber handle I got from local box store for $1 off the discount bin. The tool hooks were worth the $1 upgrade,
Tried it on the lid handle, but wow it got hot. Went back to the wood
Thanks FA. Yeah, the plastic lid handle gets plenty hot on my buddies newer kettle.
Heh, I had to retire my chocolate brown 3 disc bottom vent kettle. The only wooden handle on it is the lid , the kettle handles are steel. Circa 70's, it was of such higher quality, thicker steel and way thicker porcelain. Cooked great!
I still have it but the leg mounts gave up.
Great looking wings Moto.

I looked up the grate on amazon. Weber sure is proud of it especially since it's not stainless.

Looking through their compatible accessories, it's like checking out accessories for a Big Green Egg, (or any of the ceramic cookers, for that matter), Your original purchase is just the tip of the iceberg.
Thanks.
Yeah, Weber is proud of their products, but the alternative is rolling the dice on Hu Flung Poo brand from China....
Some really nice work on those wings, they look great! The Vortex has been doing a number on my grill, eating it up, time to shop! RAY
Thank you Ray. That screamin' hot charcoal a few inches away from the grate tears it up. Damn near do some blacksmithing.

The wings look great and I have never regreted buying Weber anything! Congrats on making the carousel!
Thanks man!
Yeah, the Weber stuff is nice. It might not always be made in USA but it is always quality stuff made to their spec.
Though I read years ago that their therms were not good.
MC, Nice new toy and great looking wings !
I'm diggin' it. It was unnerving seeing my old grate almost red hot in the center.
Thank you for the kind words, now go make some of that beautiful sausage you do :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

That is some amazing looking chicken!! Literally, it has me drooling. If I were to sit down to a platter of that, somebody would need to call the paramedics. No doubt I'd eat till I was in a coma. Extremely well done!!

Robert

That is some amazing looking chicken!! Literally, it has me drooling. If I were to sit down to a platter of that, somebody would need to call the paramedics. No doubt I'd eat till I was in a coma. Extremely well done!!

Robert
Thank you Robert. You make me blush:emoji_blush: Hah!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky