Winging it!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Well since yesterday was national wing day and my wife found some wings in the freezer, we thought why not. Well I've seen so many posts using vortex that look awesome...only one problem...I don't have one. I decided what the hell...I'll just wing it! (I had to do it!) Got to thinking...what do I have that would work? Then it hit me, the base to our CI waffle pan

20200729_175121.jpg

I asked Shelly to season them while I got the kettle set up. Can't remember what she all used but I know she had poultry seasoning and paprika on one side and some turmeric on the other

20200729_182049.jpg

Got them on the kettle with a piece of mulberry on top

20200729_184834.jpg

Some tbs coming out of my $20 kettle. I needed a chimney starter for a different smoker, they were $18 and found this kettle at a garage sale with starter.

20200729_183846.jpg

Here they are after we flipped them. Didn't know if we had to...first time using this set up. Also rotated the lid every 10 minutes, seen that on one of sawhorseray sawhorseray posts...he seems like he might have a little knowledge about using the vortex. :emoji_wink:

20200729_185032.jpg

Time for some sauce, bought some Cookies, Buffalo wing sauce so used some of that, some got veri veri teriyaki, and some a mix of bbq sauce and the buffalo wing sauce

20200729_191316.jpg

Finally time to eat, wings with tater rounds done in air fryer.

20200729_191832.jpg

My plate, 2 upper left with buffalo wing sauce, 2 bottom with teriyaki, 2 upper right with bbq sauce and buffalo sauce mix. Shelly loved the teriyaki, I loved them all. Now probably won't do a lot of wings because of price but can definitely see doing thighs and drumsticks for sure!

Thanks for looking!
Ryan

Looks great. Nice way of Mcgivering it

What do you mean "I don't have a Vortex?". That looks like the real deal to me Ryan, now you're all set, nice piece of work, Like! RAY

Ryan the wings look phenomenal! Nice job. Love the use of mulberry wood. I few up with a mulberry in the back yard. Haven’t seen one in quite some time.

Brilliant Ryan, absolutely brilliant sir!! That is improvisation at it's best and great job on the wings. Ray already said it...you're all set now buddy. The vortex stuff is gaining popularity here in a hurry so looking forward to seeing what you do next with the waffle cooker :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks great. Nice way of Mcgivering it
Thank you!

Awesome looking wings there Brian!!
Al
Thanks Al, I appreciate it!

Beautiful wings and awesome ingenuity
Thanks peachy!

Nice Job, Ryan!!
Looks Great !!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear, and thanks for the like, I appreciate it!

Yup , good lookin wings .
Thank you!
View attachment 456259

Nice job on winging those wings!
Thank you, I appreciate it!

What do you mean "I don't have a Vortex?". That looks like the real deal to me Ryan, now you're all set, nice piece of work, Like! RAY
Thanks Ray, I appreciate it! So when you use your vortex do you run with all vents wide open? And thanks for the like!
Yummy-yummy!Looks great!
Thank you!

To quote an old ad campaign that looks Mmm, mmm good.
Thank you! It was tasty
Wings look delicious Ryan. Nice job
Thanks Jake, it's appreciated!

Nice work McGuyver!...JJ
Thank you! Glad I thought of it...it worked great.

Great looking wings!

Are wings expensive right now? Haven’t bought them in awhile.
Thanks! Not sure on price around here, these were in the freezer. Not as cheap as when 1/4s and drumsticks are on sale

Ryan the wings look phenomenal! Nice job. Love the use of mulberry wood. I few up with a mulberry in the back yard. Haven’t seen one in quite some time.
Thank you! We have tons of mulberry trees, will never run out. We both loved the flavor it added. Plus the mulberries make a really good wine!

Brilliant Ryan, absolutely brilliant sir!! That is improvisation at it's best and great job on the wings. Ray already said it...you're all set now buddy. The vortex stuff is gaining popularity here in a hurry so looking forward to seeing what you do next with the waffle cooker :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thank you Robert, I appreciate it! Not sure whats next but will definitely be doing more chicken for sure. Still waiting for you to lose your bet and end up with a kettle! :emoji_sunglasses: I'm sure you would put it to good use. Would like a 26" for the extra room, just missed one on Craigslist.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky