Windy days smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
It's rural here and we are surrounded by flat crop fields. I can see the state border (Ohio/Indiana) from my front porch and it is one mile + away.

Anyway it's pretty windy here when the wind is blowing. Tomorrow 45 mile wind gusts and rain and I have a turkey breast to smoke. Maybe I'll do it inside the garage with the doors open. Maybe push the smoker outside and use the pick up truck for a wind block. Any windy day suggestions?

Guys have had success with Piano Hinges and sheets of Plywood, cut as needed, on three sides. You didn't say what smoker you have. If it has a stack, bring it in the garage and Pipe the smoke out. Leave a 12" gap in the door for fresh air...JJ

Chef jj has good ideas. Sounds like you're gonna have the same weather as us (nw Iowa) . We have used our mes 30 with mailbox mod in garage with some venting...doors, windows partially open. If nothing else it's an awesome air freshner... garage smells great for a couple days.

Ryan

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Guys have had success with Piano Hinges and sheets of Plywood, cut as needed, on three sides. You didn't say what smoker you have. If it has a stack, bring it in the garage and Pipe the smoke out. Leave a 12" gap in the door for fresh air...JJ

I have a Masterbuilt 560. I recently did an overnight pulled pork smoke with it in prolonged 40 MPH winds. The smoker held it's temp and the pork turned out fantastic but my goodness did it burn some charcoal!

I just watched this 560 Mod for Wind last week. It may help you as well...JJ

This wind is coming pretty much out of the due west. Can you find a spot on the east side of a house/garage/barn?

Reactions: forktender
This wind is coming pretty much out of the due west. Can you find a spot on the east side of a house/garage/barn?
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner....the wind isn't gonna blow through the house, barn, shed or fence. Use what wind breaks you have and if that isn't enough have a sheet of two of plywood around to add to your natural wind breaks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky