Winco Egg-Price Ripoff!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Seems the California egg prices were slow to go up and now are slow to come down. Wife went shopping. Told her if eggs are still $5/dozen, only buy 1 doz; if under $4 get 2. She came home with 2 dozen saying they had a 3rd on the shelf but it had a bunch of broken eggs in it. I figured she'd found a great sale...no, $4.80/dozen. It didn't seem to bother her that, per pound, eggs cost more than bacon. Seems crazy to me.

Reactions: noboundaries
Kudos to Winco for beating a competitor's egg prices. Safeway has an 18-ct carton of eggs on sale for $2.99, limit two, membersip req'd in their tracking program. When I went to Winco yesterday, their 18-ct carton was $2.88, no limit, no tracking other than your credit card. Two weeks ago that same 18-ct carton was $6.48, after being $4.70 the week before that.

It's kinda fun riding the egg-price rollercoaster. I shop where the prices are cheapest and never run low on eggs.

Reactions: crazymoon
It's been a week since I checked but my Safeway was over $4/dozen in moderate quantities. I'm sticking with Costco large quantities until things stabilize.

We're still just going out to the coop :emoji_laughing:
IMG_20230120_172027885.jpg

More Kudos to Winco. The price of an 18-ct carton has dropped to $2.88 and has been there for the last week or two. That works out to $1.92 per dozen.

Mayo is still $2+ more per jar than pre-runup, but now I make my own.

Smart and final had eggs for <$2/doz (limit 2) but you had to digitally clip a coupon. Oh well it was time I learned the 21st century of what my mom did.

Even more Kudos to Winco! The price of an 18zct carton of eggs today was $2.07, or $1.38/dozen...and it was the 1st of the month! Other prices are high but I've noticed they've changed some suppliers to get cheaper prices in the veggie department.

There was an interesting news story locally in Sacramento from a few weeks ago that I just watched yesterday. Since the beginning of the year, locals bought all the baby chicks as soon as they arrived at a feed store to set up their own coops. Then someone did a flawed cost analysis comparing the 1st and 2nd year of home eggs from 12 hens compared to store-bought for 1 dozen a week at $5/dozen. A savings of ony $30/year was stated for the second year.

Imagine my response.

Even more Kudos to Winco! The price of an 18zct carton of eggs today was $2.07, or $1.38/dozen...and it was the 1st of the month! Other prices are high but I've noticed they've changed some suppliers to get cheaper prices in the veggie department.
I was at my local Winco yesterday. 18-egg carton was $1.87. Dozen for $1.28.

Surprised mine was the last comment here.
Things have changed since then. In WA state, our illustrious legislators made a law in 2019, that all eggs sold in the state needed to be certified as "cage-free". This didn't take effect until Jan. 1 of this year, so it took us all by surprise.
Cheapest eggs I can find in ANY grocery store are over $3 a dozen, and a lot of them are going for up to $6 doz. Unless they change this law, I don't see the price coming down any time soon.

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard
Surprised mine was the last comment here.
Things have changed since then. In WA state, our illustrious legislators made a law in 2019, that all eggs sold in the state needed to be certified as "cage-free". This didn't take effect until Jan. 1 of this year, so it took us all by surprise.
Cheapest eggs I can find in ANY grocery store are over $3 a dozen, and a lot of them are going for up to $6 doz. Unless they change this law, I don't see the price coming down any time soon.
And bet that they frown on your raising your own chickens for eggs.

Jim

We sell ours at $4.00/ dozen too. But the way Colorado is, I should be charging $8.00 lol 😆 some of these weirdos here would pay it, without batting an eye.

WinCo is still pulling the first of the month price increase on eggs. Jumped more than $2 for 18 eggs for a price of $6.68 around the first of March. Yesterday, the price was back down to $4.48/18.

We went through the cage-free issue last year. Then came the "migrating wild birds creating bird flu" BS. Same thing this year with the bird flu.

I've stopped buying eggs at Winco and shifted to Costco where egg prices are $2.50 dozen and dropping.

Egg producers are notorious for price fixing and have been sued and convicted in the past. They're at it again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky