1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Wild Turkey breast wrapped in bacon

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by akeisler, May 17, 2019 at 10:05 PM.

1. akeisler

akeisler Newbie

I rubbed two wild turkey breasts and wrapped them in a bacon weave. Gonna smoke them over apple and hickory tomorrow. More pics to come!

First time I’ve ever smoked wild turkey. Hoping it turns out good!

upload_2019-5-17_23-4-43.jpeg

upload_2019-5-17_23-5-2.jpeg

mike243 likes this.
  2. mike243

mike243 Smoking Fanatic

I think your on the right track and hope you have a good therm to use, That might have been a good time to try brining 1 of them, I love to slice them against the grain and flour them with runion mix and fry like chicken, The thighs and legs get made into soup lol will be watching for the finished pictures

3. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks like a great start!
    Al

4. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great! Good luck. Many guys like to cure wild game and if that sounds interesting check out Pop's brine or some of Bear's therads. I recommend the low salt version if using Pop's. Curing spooked me out when I first started but I am glad I took the time to learn as the results are awesome.

5. akeisler

akeisler Newbie

Fellas, I’m gonna tell ya what...not to toot my own horn, but that may be the best thing I’ve ever smoked. Hot and fast on a Weber Smoky Mountain to a temp of about 163. It was fantastic.

upload_2019-5-18_21-47-53.jpeg

jaxgatorz and KrisUpInSmoke like this.
  6. Really? I'm glad for you! I was worried about how it would turn out considering it's wild.

7. akeisler

akeisler Newbie

Man, my mom even loved it, and she “doesn’t eat” wild game. The bacon definitely kept the breast moist. I think hot and fast is the key when smoking poultry. Low and slow dries it out.

KrisUpInSmoke likes this.