Wild Turkey breast wrapped in bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

akeisler

Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
I rubbed two wild turkey breasts and wrapped them in a bacon weave. Gonna smoke them over apple and hickory tomorrow. More pics to come!

First time I’ve ever smoked wild turkey. Hoping it turns out good!

upload_2019-5-17_23-4-43.jpeg

upload_2019-5-17_23-5-2.jpeg

Reactions: mike243
I think your on the right track and hope you have a good therm to use, That might have been a good time to try brining 1 of them, I love to slice them against the grain and flour them with runion mix and fry like chicken, The thighs and legs get made into soup lol will be watching for the finished pictures

Looks great! Good luck. Many guys like to cure wild game and if that sounds interesting check out Pop's brine or some of Bear's therads. I recommend the low salt version if using Pop's. Curing spooked me out when I first started but I am glad I took the time to learn as the results are awesome.

Man, my mom even loved it, and she “doesn’t eat” wild game. The bacon definitely kept the breast moist. I think hot and fast is the key when smoking poultry. Low and slow dries it out.

I did the same thing with one of my breasts this year and it was phenomenal! Also bacon wrapped the thighs/legs - legs are a lost cause, but there's a little good meat on the thighs (likely won't bother again). Also did the other breast without bacon wrap (brined) and it was excellent as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky