Wife gifted me a cleaver knife for Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I've always debated whether I needed one or not. A lighter 7" santoku blade at half the width and weight has been my go-to favorite for veggies, but I did a bunch of research on a full-sized cleaver.
Settled on a German high carbon steel cleaver knife by Cutluxe. Price was only $40 on Amazon. I put it in my "save for later" list and moved on. My wife saw it and now I own one. It has become my new favorite knife!

Great ergonomics and fit. I go through about 3 bulbs of garlic a week and they are no match for this baby. Piecing a boneless Costco ham was effortless. Hard veggies like big carrots just melt under the weight of the knife, yet it doesn't feel heavy.

It is carbon steel so it will discolor with time and use. Food-grade mineral oil and drying immediately after washing will help keep the finish.

Great packaging, too. I keep it in there with a microfiber rag for applying the oil. Fun and useful gift.
71Kw5J+QpFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81cIrazIMOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71a+wRt+4oL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nice. What is the weight of it? I have 2 and not sure on the weight of them. I will have to weigh them. One is heavy.

Reactions: noboundaries
Looks really nice. I don’t have a cleaver and now Ill probably spend money haha
I often cube big hunks of partially frozen brisket, chuck, and steak. My 8" chef's knife (9.25oz) does a great job, but I honestly start getting hand cramps when cubing meat that weighs more than 3-4 lbs. Will be interesting to see how my hand reacts using this cleaver.

Looks really good Ray. How often would it have to be sharpened?
Time will tell. I haven't even used a steel on it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
That's a very valuable piece of kitchen gear Ray, big Like. The one I use as a pizza cutter has been in my family for over 100 years. I use it for more than pizza, I like to work it on a diamond stone to where it shave the hair on my arm, steel like that is hard to come by these days. Aside from sub-primal cuts and pizza they're really nice to have around just in case a friend drops by with a buck or wild hog that need butchering for sausage too, my cut was always one third of the sausage. RAY

pizza.jpg

That's a very valuable piece of kitchen gear Ray, big Like. The one I use as a pizza cutter has been in my family for over 100 years. I use it for more than pizza, I like to work it on a diamond stone to where it shave the hair on my arm, steel like that is hard to come by these days. Aside from sub-primal cuts and pizza they're really nice to have around just in case a friend drops by with a buck or wild hog that need butchering for sausage too, my cut was always one third of the sausage. RAY
Thanks, RAY. Hadn't thought about pizza, but I have now. No hunting friends, but I'll keep my eyes open for a wandering buck!

Edit: my wife loves old tools and knives, an interest she acquired from her dad. She saw your cleaver and read the family history. She expanded the pic on the knife and totally ignored the pizza.

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
Great looking cleaver! I have an old Chicago cutlery cleaver. It gets a lot of use. Believe it or not, my wife likes the juice (milk, water) from young coconuts. And to eat the meat after draining, I use the cleaver to cut them open. Tough nut to crack but more effective than the hammer and hatchet. But I prefer using it to split rib bones.

I've always wanted a cleaver. I felt it was like a graduation gift of some kind, like I have moved on to the next meat level or something and it needs a ceremony and engraved with my name.
With that said, I don't know how to use one properly. I can't imagine you'd use it like a chef knife to cut vegetables? I mean, it's meant to go through bone and such.

I have a real heavy one that I use for things like cutting a frozen brisket in half. I use a mallet filled with bb’s & beat on the cleaver with it. It’s a Wusthof, so it’s pretty heavy duty!
Al

Nice looking cleaver Ray. I never used one, but it sure looks like it would come in handy.

Point for sure
Chris

That is a heavy cleaver Ray it looks great. I just retired a heavy Chinese one ^ replaced it with a Japanese Veg Cleaver
Hey, Richie. When I first started looking at cleavers, I watched a YouTube video by America's Test Kitchen on cleavers. Weights and blade angles varied widely from dull to sharp. Uses also varied widely from duller bone breakers to sharper mixed use. I chose the latter blade type. I wanted something heavier than the knives I owned, but not so heavy it created its own carpal tunnel problems. So far, I'm happy with the knife.

I've always wanted a cleaver. I felt it was like a graduation gift of some kind, like I have moved on to the next meat level or something and it needs a ceremony and engraved with my name. With that said, I don't know how to use one properly. I can't imagine you'd use it like a chef knife to cut vegetables? I mean, it's meant to go through bone and such.
I don't do much in the way of bone-breaking. Frozen or partially frozen meat is the toughest thing I cut. But, this knife has an angled bolster and a curved blade which makes it great for veggies. Cutting edge is angled 14-16 degrees per side which is comparable chef's knives. So far I've only used it for garlic (great), carrots (great), and onions (meh-prefer santoku). Oh, and it was great for dicing ham.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky