Why is Charcoal so expensive?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

achilles007

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Seriusly.. $32.00 for a bag?!

I heard that one is supposed to use 18 charcoal briquettes just for one 3-hour smoke session!

That means the bag would be gone in less than two days!

so If I wanted to grill 4/5 days out of the week I would easily be blowing over $200.00!

Why is this stuff so expensive?

We havent even factored in the wood yet!

Ridiculous

Last edited:
Where are you located and what brand of charcoal are you looking at??  I use lump and pay a little over $6 for a 10 lb bag at wally world.  Lump burns hotter and longer than charcaol briquettes = less used for same amount of time cooking.

Whooooooo what kind are you buying? I use lump wood and usually get a 40lb bag at Sam's club for around $15. A 40lb bag will usually  last me a month or so with my UDS. Sam's usually gets a big stock in some time in May so I will pick up 3  or 4 bags and I will be set until next May.

Oh wow. It sells for that cheap?

This is my first time looking for charcoal, so when I amazon'd it. I got this:

But now that I look at it-- I see how silly I look.

1.) It is name-brand

2.) It is lump charcoal.

Sorry for the confusion folks. I typed faster than I was thinking. I thought I was just looking at a regular off-brand bag of briquets.

But since we are on the subject does it matter whether the briquettes are name-brand or not?

I use good old Kingsford Blue Bag. It goes on sale every now & then at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $8 for 40 lbs. I usually buy 120 lbs. & that will last until the next sale.

I use good old Kingsford Blue Bag. It goes on sale every now & then at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $8 for 40 lbs. I usually buy 120 lbs. & that will last until the next sale.
I agree with Al.....When lowes runs a sale you cant beat the price....Stock up and save!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

I had no idea 'charcoal' was so expensive,glad I'm where I can get good wood for free, most of the time
biggrin.gif
.And I think I get a better flavor too
drool.gif

Have fun and..........

It's not expensive...

8 bucks for 40 pounds lasts a helluva long time in the 18.5 wsm...

Craig

Lump I buy at my local resteraunt supply 40 lbs. for $13.99, and briquets I do what Al does - HD or Lowe's sale 40 lbs. for $8, stock up with 120-200 lbs worth.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky