Why I Smoke Butts Overnight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
12 1/2 hours into an overnight smoke at 225F, I open all the vents on my WSM, knock off the ash from the coals, and insert the meat probes for the first time. I have a 10.93 lb butt and a 9.23 lb butt on the top rack. First picture is right after I came back inside.

In the time it took me to take the first picture and finger type this thread on my phone, the meat temp has already started to rise (second picture).

I love sleeping through the stall. 3-5 hours from now, they'll be done.

20200213_065724.jpg

20200213_071020.jpg

Assuming that your P2 & P3 probes are in separate butts, your IT is remarkably consistent between the two.
All due to top vent placement. The grate temp is hotter under the top vent on the WSM, so I placed the top vent over the larger butt. At the end of the smoke, there was a 4F difference between the two. 207F on the smaller butt, 204F on the larger one. I had fallen back asleep watching pretzel making YouTube videos (prompted by another thread). Didn't get a pic of the therm when I woke up, but here's the "time to unload and rest" shot.

Total time: 14 hrs 45 mins. Time after I woke up this morning: 2 hrs 45 mins.

20200213_090934.jpg

All due to top vent placement. The grate temp is hotter under the top vent on the WSM, so I placed the top vent over the larger butt. At the end of the smoke, there was a 4F difference between the two. 207F on the smaller butt, 204F on the larger one. I had fallen back asleep watching pretzel making YouTube videos (prompted by another thread). Didn't get a pic of the therm when I woke up, but here's the "time to unload and rest" shot.

Total time: 14 hrs 45 mins. Time after I woke up this morning: 2 hrs 45 mins.

View attachment 432167
That’s pretty dang good performance. That’s a hefty load of meat. Great job!

Reactions: noboundaries
Done it both ways, depends on my mood. Most of the time I just get up early.

Gary

All due to top vent placement. The grate temp is hotter under the top vent on the WSM, so I placed the top vent over the larger butt. At the end of the smoke, there was a 4F difference between the two. 207F on the smaller butt, 204F on the larger one.
Now "that" is knowing your smoker !
They look excellent. Some good eats coming your way.

Reactions: Will Squared
Nice smoke...Butts turned out great!!
All my smokes start at 4:30 am on my offset.
Thank you! And I would start early, too with an offset. Such a different animal than the practically set and forget WSM.

Although yesterday, I was thinking about offsets, attempting to mentally concoct a way to preheat wood and extend the time between feedings. Interesting engineering challenge.

Reactions: hardcookin
I did something for the first time ever last night...I forgot I was smoking butts! Usually I check the chamber temp each time I wake up. Not last night! Woke up this morning at 0630, twelve hours and twenty minutes after loading the two butts. Here's the chamber temp I saw on the Inkbird (pay no attention to the timer. I don't use it).

20200819_063343.jpg

The temp on the Guru and the Inkbird were within a couple of degrees of each other. The River Country lid therm was running about 215-220F and had showed that difference even before I went to bed.

I stuck the meat probes in the meat and saw this.

20200819_064339.jpg

I remembered I didn't reposition the Inkbird and Guru probes away from the edge heat flow, so they were running hot.

Soon it'll be time to crank up the heat!

Last edited:
18 hours in and the ITs are 180 and 185F. Instant read shows same ITs. Probe had quite a bit of resistance. RC lid therm showing 275F. Guru and Inkbird show 300F. Butts looking good though, so time for a scotch and more Netflix while they cruise along.

20200819_122352.jpg

20.5 hours total smoke until probe tender. Highly unusual. The low overnight chamber temp of 215-220F for 12 hours obviously extended the smoke. I've never awoke to a 151/153F IT, but the IT rose slowly over the next 8 hours. The butts are resting now .

But hey, it's been one of those days. A slow smoke, wife's car battery dead, another in a string of 100+F days, and the air and sunshine outside is tinted bright orange from all the fires here in NorCal. A new batch of JJ's finishing sauce and yummy pulled pork will help refocus.

Wow. Thats a long smoke but looks good. I seen on the news about the fires. Its not good.

Wow. Thats a long smoke but looks good. I seen on the news about the fires. Its not good.
Yep. Last time I had a smoke go that long was one unwrapped butt at 225F start to finish. I made the choice last night to go with the Guru/Inkbird temps, thinking maybe the RC lid therm had gone bad. Nope. They were all accurate. It had to do with placement.

We've seen outdoor temps north of 110F, daily 105-110F. Continuing for another week or more. Not good for forests and fields. The afternoon sunshine coming in my window was more orange than the "preview" and "attach files" buttons. Keep folks fighting the fires and threatened property owners in your thoughts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky