Whole leaf or shredded lettuce on a sandwich?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Which one do you prefer and why?

Had this discussion recently while at the fishing camp. We were making BLT's with some of my home grown garden fresh tomatoes and homemade bacon. I like whole leaf lettuce when making a sandwich with garden fresh tomato because they are so juicy. The lettuce leaf will keep the bread dry so your sandwich does not fall apart in your hands. My Uncle prefers shredded to mix the dark green leaf with the light green leaf.

The BLT you posted would definitely be leaf iceberg lettuce. That’s how I grew up and that plain works. However, for subs or Po-Boy style, I definitely prefer the shredded lettuce. Even on some burgers the shred is my favorite. Others though the whole leaf is a key component. On wraps and tacos I always run with shredded. They are both needed and important for the final.

Good question. I like both. For different reasons.
I like leaf lettuce on my burgers, BLTs and tuna melts. I like shredded lettuce on my sub sammichs.
I think like you said, the whole leaf lettuce keeps the bread dry. But, sometimes, like a Italian sammich from jimmy johns or homemade sammich i want to taste that mayo or olive oil n vinegar in my bread.

The BLT you posted would definitely be leaf iceberg lettuce. That’s how I grew up and that plain works. However, for subs or Po-Boy style, I definitely prefer the shredded lettuce. Even on some burgers the shred is my favorite. Others though the whole leaf is a key component. On wraps and tacos I always run with shredded. They are both needed and important for the final.
Pretty much in total agreement. Definately leaf for a BLT. Made some the other night and used the ‘living” butter lettuce.

I like it both ways , BUT. for a burger and or a sandwich I like a couple of big flat leafs and I smack them with my palm to flatten.
In a sub sandwich I like to slice with knife real thin, and fluff and fill up the sub after all the meat has been layered in first , do not slice my sub bun all the way through, I hate that. lol

David

Reactions: negolien
Whole leaf for sammies, shredded for takos and salads.

Chris

Never gave it a thought but always use whole leaf. Why I dont know probably because it's just quicker.

Same here, except when I do put on burgers I usually use leaf for the roll moisture control. Wife likes the dark leaf being a bit healthier, but I prefer the texture/crunch of iceberg. If I’m eating a burger, po-boy, or Italian cold cuts, the lettuce is the least of my health concerns 😁

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks like I follow the crowd. Whole leaf on BLTs and burgers. Shredded for subs and tacos.
Jim

To tell the truth, I’ve never given it any thought but now I’m going to. I think I just do leaf. I think. Maybe I break it up? I’m thinking too much about the bacon.
I never thought much about it, but I agree exactly with what Sven said, above^^.

Bear

Depends. A po-boy must have shredded iceberg lettuce imo. That's what I was raised on. Finely shredded at that.
Any other sub/hoagie can have either, but I prefer shredded.

White/wheat/sourdough loaf breads get iceberg leaves or leaf (red or romaine - something of that nature).

I don't much care on burgers. It's all good.

Tacos gotta be shredded iceberg.

Here is where I draw the line. I want my tomato slices thin. I will put half a tomato on a BLT or a mater sandwich but I slice them down around an 1/8" and pile on slices.

BLT on lightly toasted, enough mayo to float the Ark, alternating layers of bacon and tomato (extra pepper on maters) - a bit of lettuce ---- I'm done Son!!!

I don't get the leaf lettuce thing.... To me, a tasteless green although it does add a crunch to the bite.
A double hunk of salted iceberg lettuce on a sandwich and its all over with.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky