Whole leaf or shredded lettuce on a sandwich?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have to say that I don't particularly care for lettuce on anything but in a salad.... But, to be fair, it is quite actually in the name of the sandwich, Bacon, lettuce, tomato. So, I would have to go with whole leaf iceberg on a classic BLT.

I know some of you might cringe but but an "icky sandwich " needs leaf lettuce! Icky sandwich = peanut butter, sliced dill pickles and lettuce :emoji_blush: and pretty dang tasty!

Ryan

I know some of you might cringe but but an "icky sandwich " needs leaf lettuce! Icky sandwich = peanut butter, sliced dill pickles and lettuce :emoji_blush: and pretty dang tasty!

Ryan
I got one for you that is pure bayouland coonass.....cold thick and creamy white beans (made with tasso and smoked andouille), two thick slices of fresh french bread toasted, and tabasco sauce. Put the cold white beans spread thick over the hot toast and a few dabs of tabasco (toast will warm the white beans just slightly to take the chill out but not enough to have the entire mass melt off your toast). Eat dat! Pure heaven!!!

I got one for you that is pure bayouland coonass.....cold thick and creamy white beans (made with tasso and smoked andouille), two thick slices of fresh french bread toasted, and tabasco sauce. Put the cold white beans spread thick over the hot toast and a few dabs of tabasco (toast will warm the white beans just slightly to take the chill out but not enough to have the entire mass melt off your toast). Eat dat! Pure heaven!!!
Ok so I might be a northern coonass! And can't stand alot of spice so go easy on the tobasco...don't wanna be dragging my coonass around on the ground the next day! :emoji_blush: But I'd sure try it... I'll try anything once! Just one question...shredded lettuce or leaf with that?

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Sandwich with two pieces of bread: whole leaf and veggie slices..

Butter or pretzel roll with a v-cut: shredded lettuce and chopped veggies.

It's all about making the sandwich less messy and easier to eat, for me.

Kinda surprised this was even a question. Who was the first one to decide shredded lettuce should be a thing and why? Had to be a fast food thing.

Tacos (and maybe subs) for sure, but other than that, what is the point? I would assume, too, that like ground beef, there is the bigger risk of bacteria or other contaminants in shredded lettuce.

This is an amazing question and I love reading the thread. I have to agree with the “it depends” group. A hypothesis would be if I have to tilt my head to take a bite it should be shredded, but if I look straight forward or hunch to take a bite then it’s whole leaf.

For iceberg I’m generally a shredded guy. Butter lettuce and similar like arugula I like whole leaf.

BLT is toasted rye, heirloom or home grown tomatoes, whole lean romaine lettuce, thousand island dressing and home made bacon.

In general its whole leaf lettuce if I am making the sandwich.

Prefer whole leaf on burgers and sammies ... but do hate it when eating out and they give you a leaf so large it would cover a Hoosier Breaded Tenderloin. Shredded on those subs.

I totally agree with you, buddy! To be honest, I don't understand people who prefer to chop a lettuce leaf to mix it with something else and make a sandwich. I also like to use a whole salad leaf to keep the rest of the ingredients intact. I have a sandwich maker that a friend ordered for me at amazon. He knows how much I love making sandwiches. I make sandwiches with a whole salad leaf, and people love my sandwiches. You can tell your friend he is wrong and spoils a salad leaf if he chops it and adds it in a sandwich.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky