Whole hogging it for Christmas.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

akdutchguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Palmer AK
Brother in law came to me yesterday and said he had a small pig he needed to get rid of and wanted to eat it for Christmas. I like a challenge. Built me a makeshift cinderblock pit with a chunk of plywood on top. I hope this works. I have never cooked on a cinderblock pit. I have also never done whole hog. Quite a challenge. The wind is blowing around 30 gusting to 50. I hope I have enough wood. Does anybody have an estimate of how long it will take. The pig is 44 pounds. I'm guessing on 8-10 hours. Not sure with the wind. This is going to be a long night. I will try to get some pics but it is dark out and freezing cold. Will keep you posted.
Jason

Reactions: disco
I probably could have put him on the drum. I should have built the pit smaller. Hind sight is always 20/20. Got the pig on just after 3 this morning. Glad I had a bag of kbb on hand to get my coal bed going. Hope I can keep up with it. That wind is sucking the heat out of it.
Jason

AKD, Looks like you were quite successful ! Nice job !!!!!!
points.gif

Gonna change up the smoker a bit. I ended up just burning logs to get coals and kept it warm. Horribly inefficient. Burned through 1/2 cord of alder in 12 hours. All in all good smoke.
Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky