• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Whole hog on the Lang Fatboy at Hogs For The Cause

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
That's fantastic . Congratulations !

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Congrats on the win and raising all that money for a great cause. Awesome thing man!

Also I see you had quite the double edged sword. Right next to the beer truck but on the other hand right next to the porta-johns. I would think the beer might over weigh the smell?

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
That's fantastic . Congratulations !
Thanks Chop!
Congrats on the win and raising all that money for a great cause. Awesome thing man!

Also I see you had quite the double edged sword. Right next to the beer truck but on the other hand right next to the porta-johns. I would think the beer might over weigh the smell?
Thanks Vol! Funny you mention that. I only noticed the smell one time the entire weekend, and it was at the most inopportune time.. while we were boxing the whole hog! Other than that it wasn’t so bad at all.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Excellent post

i have participated in whole hog many times for a school fundraiser.
After the cook we always talk that it should be sub butchered into front shoulder quarter, mid section, and hind quarters

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the likes saint and smoker 912 they are appreciated.

Not sure what its called in your area other than good but we call whole hog eating a pig pick.

Warren

Smokin' in AZ

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 13, 2019
Wow, great job and congrats on 1st place.

Appreciate the work you do for charity too!

BIG LIKE

John

WaterRat

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 14, 2018
Wow! Amazing cook(s) and for a great cause, big props to you! Those turn-in boxes, especially the 2nd pic look fantastic.

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
I'm in AWEEEEE... Saint.. "your the man" ... GREAT JOB

I also do a charity comp. each year... no where's near what y'all got going there though ... I also won this year doing a Brisket... $500 went to my local charity of choice (Boys and Girls Club) ...

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Great job on the whole hog and congratulations on the win!
The family is wanting me to do a whole hog on the 60 D this summer and I'm stealing your idea of separating the rib plate from the loin!

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
Badass.....congratulations!!!👍
Thanks forktender!

Excellent post

i have participated in whole hog many times for a school fundraiser.
After the cook we always talk that it should be sub butchered into front shoulder quarter, mid section, and hind quarters
Agreed, but I think that's the whole challenge of it; preparing and cooking it whole, yet somehow avoiding the smaller cuts from being overdone.
Pure awesomeness and coolness! Congrats that hog was "the hog"!!
Thanks civilsmoker!
Wow, great job and congrats on 1st place.

Appreciate the work you do for charity too!

BIG LIKE

John
Thanks John!
Wow! Amazing cook(s) and for a great cause, big props to you! Those turn-in boxes, especially the 2nd pic look fantastic.
Thanks WaterRat! Every year, we try and improve. I struggle building a box, but I am trying to get better!
YEAP! awesome job! And congratulations!
Thank you, Yankee2bbq!
I'm in AWEEEEE... Saint.. "your the man" ... GREAT JOB

I also do a charity comp. each year... no where's near what y'all got going there though ... I also won this year doing a Brisket... $500 went to my local charity of choice (Boys and Girls Club) ...
Thanks JckDanls! Congrats on your win as well, a brisket win is a big one!
Great job on the whole hog and congratulations on the win!
The family is wanting me to do a whole hog on the 60 D this summer and I'm stealing your idea of separating the rib plate from the loin!
Steal away, I stole it myself hahaha!

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
WOW!!!!
Great job Saint. On the whole hog (first place, yet) and on all the money you folks raised for such a super cause.
My hat's off.
Gary

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
WOW!!!!
Great job Saint. On the whole hog (first place, yet) and on all the money you folks raised for such a super cause.
My hat's off.
Gary
Thank you, Gary!
Awesome job ! Awesome cook ! Awesome cause !
Thanks 912smoker!
Wow! What a great event! Big like!
Thanks Disco!
You Americans are just effing awesome, you know that, right?
Haha! Thanks Lance!
So great that you got to do that and did so good. My hat is off to you!
Thank you brett!

Smoking Allowed

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 13, 2021
That hog looks GREAT!! Not wanting you divulge any secrets, but I got a question on the prep. Is that just bacon layered up down the center or is there something hiding underneath?

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.