whole hams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

orbster

Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
iowa
hi all first time posting.I will be smoking a whole fresh ham for super bowl and i keep getting various cooking time per pound.any where from 30min to1.5hrs per pound cooking at aprox 210to230 degrees.If any body could set me straight it would be great. My ham is 20#.

you should stop by roll call if you havent already and tell us a little about yourself so we can all give you a proper welcome
if are smoking a fresh ham, meaning a leg of pork, that has not been cured you need to be careful of the danger zone temps above 40 and below 140 and should probably cook it at a little higher temp. depending on the size of it. and take it to an internal temp of at least 165* if you want Ham, the it needs to be cured first then smoked slow. the curing process keeps bacteria from forming while its in the danger zone.

It depends if it it is pre cooked and cured.

At 350° in an oven, you would cook whole pork approx. 25 min/lb. to 160° internal. At 230° you would lengthen that to probably about 45 min. a lb. But, that's not accounting for stall or if you've pickled it first, which might alter cooking times. The key figure here is to 160° internal, however long it takes to get the thermometer to read that in several areas of the center of the ham; could be 10 hours, could be 15 hours or anywhere in between. Regardless, I'd do it on Saturday so you've got plenty of time; if you're off that day start it early and you will be able to get a good night's sleep (and if not, have a 6 pack handy!).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky