Whole chicken - Pop's Brine - Only Fire Rotisserie .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice, looks like we have nearly the same setup, but I didn't see that deluxe version that you have. Pretty cool.
I did a couple chickens this weekend, too. Roasted some spuds in the drip pan to catch the juices.
20220305_173245.jpg

20220327_192129.jpg

Wow! Just really wow! What a nice way to precision- cook chicken. I love how you adjusted the fire under the bird to color it up. Thanks for the blow-by-blow!

Murph

Reactions: chopsaw
Rich the color on that bird is just fantastic and I can’t imagine how good it must of tasted, but I could eat my screen right now.

The lemon extract in the brine sounds delicious and something I must try.

Nice, looks like we have nearly the same setup, but I didn't see that deluxe version that you have. Pretty cool.
Cool . I remember seeing yours in some threads . Got mine in 2006 for Fathers day . I still have the original baskets that came with it , and the cover . Been out on the patio for almost 16 years .

I did a couple chickens this weekend, too.
They look great . Nice color .

Wow! Just really wow!
Thanks Murph . Appreciate that .

Rich the color on that bird is just fantastic
Thank you Joe .

The lemon extract in the brine sounds delicious and something I must try.
It's good Joe . I use 1/2 tsp per the gallon of water . That's just enough to taste and smell the lemon . Seems like the dark meat holds onto it more than the white meat . Try it , but start around the 1/2 tsp then adjust for your taste . Injecting helps too .

Mercy! That is a beautiful bird.
Thanks Jim . The peach wood really give it a nice color .

Thanks Murph . Appreciate that .

It's good Joe . I use 1/2 tsp per the gallon of water . That's just enough to taste and smell the lemon . Seems like the dark meat holds onto it more than the white meat . Try it , but start around the 1/2 tsp then adjust for your taste . Injecting helps too .
I just got a coupon to join BJ's for $25/year, I saw they carry Long Island ducks. I am going to grab a few of those to put on the spinner. The one I spun on my grill with a tube came out good, can't wait to do it on the kettle. Do you know if they make an orange extract? I would love to soak and inject with that.

Edit: I see there is such a thing

Last edited:
I just got a coupon to join BJ's for $25/year, I saw they carry Long Island ducks. I am going to grab a few of those to put on the spinner. The one I spun on my grill with a tube came out good, can't wait to do it on the kettle. Do you know if they make an orange extract? I would love to soak and inject with that.

Edit: I see there is such a thing

Wait, what? Inject with fruit extract? Never thought of THAT before! Hmmm... Yummy! I thought he was brining in that.

Great looking bird for sure!

Got a whole bird in the freezer. Wish I'd taken it out as we're going to have decent weather this weekend.

Wait, what? Inject with fruit extract? Never thought of THAT before! Hmmm... Yummy! I thought he was brining in that.
It would be a mix of the brine with the extract...probably at a higher concentration njected than what would be used in the brine.

I'm late to this one Rich. Looks great! Perfect color and skin must be crispy I'm sure. As someone mentioned above, I, too could eat my screen. Glad you got to use that spinner and did such a great job.
Excellent cut and plated shots too.

Reactions: MJB05615
It would be a mix of the brine with the extract...probably at a higher concentration njected than what would be used in the brine.
I mix up Pop's brine by the gallon . No short or cut down batches . 1 gallon , 2 gallon and so on . If I need 1 1/2 gallons to cover the meat , I mix 2 full gallons and use 2 full gallons .
When I inject , I mix up Pop's brine and use out of the gallon to inject .
So a normal batch for me looks like this ;
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBLS cure one
1/2 tsp Lemon extract
Mixed into one gallon of water .
I draw right out of the bucket to inject . That way one gallon of Pop's brine stays at 1 gallon .
The extract is strong . I've done some testing with amounts , and I like the 1/2 tsp to a gallon of water .
clifish clifish look in the baking isle at the store you shop at . They might have it , or if you have a Menards close to you , they have a bunch of different flavors . I have lemon , maple and anise .

Amazon has it, no menards near me, I am sure I can get it locally. you do the brine in something like a clean lowes bucket?

Cliff I bought these a few years back . Bought the big one first , then went back and got the Jr.
The Jr. is perfect size for a whole chicken up to about 8 pounds .
I did 3 turkey breast in the big one this past Thanksgiving .
20190826_145222.jpg
They have a lock ring system the keeps the food submerged .
20190826_145259.jpg

Here's a website that shows the food safe symbols for plastic containers . You want to look for the correct symbol if buying a bucket .
Mine have the HPDE 2 .
clifish clifish here it is . Forgot to copy it .

Last edited:
Reactions: BXMurphy
Cliff I bought these a few years back . Bought the big one first , then went back and got the Jr.
The Jr. is perfect size for a whole chicken up to about 8 pounds .
I did 3 turkey breast in the big one this past Thanksgiving .
View attachment 627822
They have a lock ring system the keeps the food submerged .
View attachment 627823

Here's a website that shows the food safe symbols for plastic containers . You want to look for the correct symbol if buying a bucket .
Mine have the HPDE 2 .
clifish clifish here it is . Forgot to copy it .
I will have to look those up although I hate to something else lying around taking up room. I might look into the oversized zip lock bags for whole chicken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky