Whole chicken - Pop's Brine - Only Fire Rotisserie .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I've been looking at getting a spinner for my Performer for awhile now . Also liked the pizza oven set up . When I saw the Dual use set up for $129.00 , and I had a gift card , it seemed like it was time to buy .
I have to say , I really like it . I've done homemade pizza , frozen pizza , a bottom round beef roast , and a whole chicken .
Here's the chicken .
About an 8 pound bird . In Pop's brine for 3 days , one day rinsed and dried in the fridge .
1 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp Lemon extract
1 TBLS cure 1
Bird was injected and soaked .
Out of the brine , rinsed and tied . Going back in the fridge overnight .
20220326_094603.jpg
Next day , season with fresh cracked black pepper only .
No salt , or anything that will burn or get to dark .
20220326_094740.jpg
I put the neck end towards the handle , so when it comes off the grill I can dump the liquid
out away from me .
Can't see it in the picture , but I also used celery to " shim " the shaft where it goes through the cavity .
Keeps it centered , and helps control flop .
20220327_150030.jpg
Performer set up and ready to go . Drip pan has celery , Thyme and some broth in it .
20220327_151717.jpg
20220327_151720.jpg

It really spins nice . I'm gonna have to do something
with the cord . Don't like tripping over extension cords .
20220327_151809.jpg
Not really sure where the temps at , but it was taking color at a good rate ,
I'm thinking around 350 / 400 .
20220327_155611.jpg
This is about an hour or so in .
20220327_163207.jpg
20220327_165016.jpg
I use the stub from the neck ( left side ) to start the twine .
Cross over the back , around the leg joint , cross again over the back
then tie the legs . Just how I do it . Keeps it from slipping .
20220327_163154.jpg
This thing is really full of juice . The skin is rendered and starting to split .
20220327_165043.jpg
It's about done at this point . I took out the drip pan
and moved the fire directly under the bird .
20220327_170119.jpg
20220327_170149.jpg

I didn't use a therm , just a poke test on the thigh .
She's ready .
20220327_170145.jpg

Resting for a bit , then cut the breast off the bone .
20220327_174832.jpg
Completely tender .
20220327_175206.jpg
Both breast removed and cross cut , legs and wings .
Son made baked Mac n cheese and garlic green beans .
20220327_180032.jpg
20220327_180227.jpg
Thanks for lookin .

Last edited:
Nice work Chop! That bird looks awesome. Your carving skills are way better than mine that is for sure.

Reactions: chopsaw
Fantastic piece of work Rich, looks awesome! That spinner-pizza setup arrived at my door a couple weeks back, now I know I need to get it out of the box and get it going. Picked up some game hens yesterday at Sam's for the initial cook, a little lamb roast too, I better get movin'! RAY

OMG. That's a Beautiful Chicken!!
I can't remember ever seeing a more Tasty looking Chicken!!
Nice Job, Rich!
Like.
Outstanding Plate Too!!

Bear

Spectacular looking bird. The outcome really shines by thinking and planning ahead. No doubt it was delicious.
I put the neck end towards the handle , so when it comes off the grill I can dump the liquid
out away from me .

1648740334642.png
Can't see it in the picture , but I also used celery to " shim " the shaft where it goes through the cavity .
Keeps it centered , and helps control flop .
Like a German bra - holdsemfrumfloppen

Power finally came back on . Went out right after I posted this .

That's a fine looking meal
Thank you Jim .
That bird looks beautiful!
Ryan , I appreciate that .
Fantastic looking bird Chop. I really like the color, and the breast looks nice and moist.
Thanks Chris . That breast meat cut with a fork . It was completely tender .
I use lemon extract in the brine . Gives it a great flavor .
A beer pole would solve your extension cords issues.
I could sure use a power pole on that side . Once I pick a beer up , the next place it gets set down is the trash .
However , at my old house I had a 4 x 4 with a metal plate on top of it . Glued a magnet in the bottom of the can cooler .

That is a fine looking bird! Nice work And nice spinner
Thanks Sandy . I like it . Nice quality . It also has tabs at the top of the ring for another grate . I'll be doing some testing with that soon .

Nice work Chop! That bird looks awesome. Your carving skills are way better than mine that is for sure.
Cliff , you know how it works . I was surprised at how well it fit and how quite it is . Thanks for the comment .
AS far as the carving goes , it just takes practice , and knowing what you're dealing with . Same for the butchering subprimals .

Fantastic piece of work Rich, looks awesome! That spinner-pizza setup arrived at my door a couple weeks back, now I know I need to get it out of the box and get it going. Picked up some game hens yesterday at Sam's for the initial cook, a little lamb roast too, I better get movin'! RAY
Yup . lets go . Ray I think you're gonna like it . Thanks for the comment bud .

Last edited:
Fantastic looking!
Thanks Charlie . I appreciate that .

OMG. That's a Beautiful Chicken!!
Thank you John . Love doing whole chickens , and this is a fun way to do it .
Thanks again for the comment .

Spectacular looking bird. The outcome really shines by thinking and planning ahead. No doubt it was delicious.
I usually have great results with whole birds , but this one was a step up . The lemon extract in the brine gives it a nice flavor and smell too .
Yup . Always good to think what might happen .
Thanks for the comments bud .

Great lookin bird, can almost taste it
Thanks bud . Pop's brine really gives it a great flavor .

Excellent looking yardbird.
Thanks !
That is a really nice looking bird there! Very nice work!
Thank you sir . Apple chunks , and peach chips . The peach really give it a great color .
Good looking bird. Nice job.
Thanks Rob . Appreciate that .

Reactions: kilo charlie
Thanks Sandy . I like it . Nice quality . It also has tabs at the top of the ring for another grate . I'll be doing some testing with that soon .

I had to go back and look at the Amazon add, yours came with the extra tabs to hold another grill, that is cool. Since I cheaped out and got the non pizza oven one mine did not...booo. I am sure I could rig something up with some stainless tabs attached if I really wanted. I really did not need the pizza attachment as being a diabetic, pizza is not good and I have a cast, iron wood fired one in PA
IMG_2332.JPG

Great color on that bird rich. You can see how juicy it is. I carve my chickens and turkeys the same way. Nice work on a delicious looking meal bud

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky