Whole bottom round cryovaced

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
So I bought this nice choice eye of round @ $3.99 lb. This thing is cryovaced and not easy to tell what your getting for you $, as there is no cut cross section.
Going to make jerky with the 7.5 pounds I got.
I was tempted to go for the 20 lb Bottom Round for jerky as it was only $2.99 lb.
I thought I better stick to the eye of round , knowing it tends to be pretty lean throughout most of the time. I didn't want to have to grind up 20 lbs of bottom round or make roast out of 75% of it.

Anyone ever buy those larger cryovaced Round Roasts?
Would you take a chance buying one not knowing the inside fat content?
I think a buck a pound is better for that assurance that you'll do a bunch less trimming..

1515023729012.jpg

I think you will be just fine with that for making Jerky Rings! In fact, me personally I would have gone with the bottom round. But you can be pretty confident the eye will be very lean with no other intramuscular fat. Just what you see on the outside there is about all there is to trim on an eye.

I think you will be just fine with that for making Jerky Rings! In fact, me personally I would have gone with the bottom round. But you can be pretty confident the eye will be very lean with no other intramuscular fat. Just what you see on the outside there is about all there is to trim on an eye.

Cool to hear.. I might get brave once and go for a round. Lol $10 is a bunch of money to save on 10 lbs when it comes to jerky. Your already losing a ton from dehydration.

I agree, top round is very lean, in fact too lean for my tastes. I have sous vide one and it came out real nice but it's again not my favorite. But for jerky I bet its the bomb !!!

Reactions: Rings Я Us
RRU, As others have said ,that cut makes great jerky . All the fat is on outside for easy trimming,it cuts nicely on a slicer if you have one.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Cool. I won't be as timid now buying a bigger piece. Hopefully I get a couple decent ones to start. Yep. Slicer helped. Just got one last time. Was a snap after freezing a couple hours.
:)

People cut across the grain more often I assume.

I try to cut across the grain.
Lengthwise makes for kind of hard to chew off pieces.
I'm still a knife guy. I had a slicer a long time ago in a life far, far away.
Great tool for volume work like you faced!

I try to cut across the grain.
Lengthwise makes for kind of hard to chew off pieces.
I'm still a knife guy. I had a slicer a long time ago in a life far, far away.
Great tool for volume work like you faced!
Got these 2 in the freezer. 12 lbs of CAB choice eye of round. Gonna get those going today .
IMG_20180117_192929.jpg

Johnny B's Artisan Beef Jerky
The Micro Brew of Beef Jerky

Sounds like you are going to need a label.... ;)

I finally got my Mason jar vacuum sealers yesterday. Took long enough!
FedEx was so embarrassed they dropped the package off at the post office to deliver it.
I've had mule trains deliver faster.

So I'm ready to experiment with some vacuum marinading, and dry vacuum canning of finished jerky and other stuff.
Ha, Ha, tried something with some grated smoked Cheddar cheese. I vacuum bagged a small block just fine.
But when I vacuum bagged the grated cheese, it squished it back into a lump. :confused:
Not the best way to package grated cheese, I've discovered... :rolleyes: LOL!

I make all my beef jerky out of top round cryovacs and bottom round flat crovacs. Easy to prep with not much waste.

I have 5 batches of jerky under my belt (or should I say just above my belt) all made from eye of round sliced across the grain. Everyone loves it!

Reactions: Waterville Jesse
Eye of round makes excellent jerky, almost like elk backstrap. My batches are usually 30 to 50 pounds so I prefer the full rounds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky