Small batch of beef jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
Wife sent me to the store to get mushrooms and cabbage and zucchini. The mushrooms looked horrible. Soft and the outer layer stuck to my fingers. They were worse at Costco business center. So I had room as she did send me for 3 different food categories. I got to scratching my head and I said to my self, self you know that last 5 pounds didn’t get very far. I figured well I’m here. May as well get eye of round and do a little bit more this time.
IMG_6966.jpeg

Using owens Original, teriyaki, sweet and spicy and Mango Habanero provided it arrives in time.
I have a bit of meat for another batch. Any favorites you would like to share that different then listed above?
Plan is to trim and slice sat night.

Wife sent me to the store to get mushrooms and cabbage and zucchini. The mushrooms looked horrible. Soft and the outer layer stuck to my fingers. They were worse at Costco business center. So I had room as she did send me for 3 different food categories. I got to scratching my head and I said to my self, self you know that last 5 pounds didn’t get very far. I figured well I’m here. May as well get eye of round and do a little bit more this time.View attachment 685392

Using owens Original, teriyaki, sweet and spicy and Mango Habanero provided it arrives in time.
I have a bit of meat for another batch. Any favorites you would like to share that different then listed above?
Plan is to trim and slice sat night.
My mind might not be as great as yours, but they think alike. I have an eye of round trimmed up and chilling in the freezer right now to be sliced. Have my homemade sweet bourbon marinade all mixed up and waiting...

When my wife sends me to the store, she puts a shock collar with GPS around my neck.
If I get too close to the meat department, she zaps me.
Don't let my wife see this!

Can we have some jerky while we wait for this batch lol?

Ryan

I like using Owens BBQ jerky seasoning. It's all I ever use. My faves are original, mesquite or hickory as a base flavor and then I often doctor it up to "kick it up a notch".

Single you have original coming, which is a fine flavor all on its own, I have added the following to one seasoning pack to make new flavors:

1 tbsp Mrs. Dash Chipotle Seasoning (this is my fave way to doctor it up) to make Original-Chipotle jerky

or

1 tbsp garlic powder and 1 tbsp black pepper (restaurant grind) to make a Original-garlic-pepper jerky

or...have fun!

Reactions: flatbroke
I like using Owens BBQ jerky seasoning. It's all I ever use. My faves are original, mesquite or hickory as a base flavor and then I often doctor it up to "kick it up a notch".

Single you have original coming, which is a fine flavor all on its own, I have added the following to one seasoning pack to make new flavors:

1 tbsp Mrs. Dash Chipotle Seasoning (this is my fave way to doctor it up) to make Original-Chipotle jerky

or

1 tbsp garlic powder and 1 tbsp black pepper (restaurant grind) to make a Original-garlic-pepper jerky

or...have fun!
Awesome, I will try it. Thank you.

Reactions: smokin peachey
Well crap! The batch is getting smaller. I started trimming fat off of the EOR roasts around 4 am. I was on the 4th roast when
IMG_7064.jpeg

When the knife on the right got pissed, went section 8 and stabbed me in the wrist. Blood started squirting out, my wife about flipped. Yelling for me to call an ambulance as I’m trying to apply pressure.

We head to ER, which was deadsville, got in immediately, examined. Had internal bleeding but stopped. Arm swollen. Stitched up. Tetanus shot etc. And back home by 645 am.

So I will be down 1 roast and left with a gross weight of around 25 pounds. I still need to trim the last one.
I’m not sure what to do with the one I was working on. I can eat it since it was my blood lol. Maybe bbq?
My wife went home while I was being treated and put the good meat in the fridge. Cleaned the blood off of the cabinet walls, floor, table counter etc. what a mess.

For what it’s worth the new knives are pretty nice. I had the fillet knife already as we used to fish alot for salmon in the pacific.

You are lucky or blessed or both...
Definitely Blessed!!! Got the last one trimmed up. Best I’m gonna do now anyway. There is still of silver skin and spots of fat but it’s staying
IMG_7068.jpeg

Gonna put them In the freezer and slice them up so I can get marinated for 24 hrs.

Reactions: smokin peachey
FB, I love using EOR for jerky,usually buy it on sale cheap. Your EOR got a little more expensive with that ER visit! Ihope you heal up soon .

• Haha
Reactions: flatbroke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky