white meat strip on baby back ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin_dan

Original poster
Jun 3, 2021
The baby back or lion back ribs sold in the vacuum pack in Kroger have this strip of white meat on them. it is always a challenge for me to get the darker meat between the bones done before this strip of white meat gets over done and dry.

Anyone else have this issue and solved it?

baby back white meat.JPG

Reactions: Wurstmeister
besides wrapping and trying different temps, you could flip them over (bone up)

That Dry Loin Meat is the reason I only buy the much cheaper Spare Ribs and cut them into Boneless Tips and St Louis Ribs. We get 2 meals from 2 Full racks of Spare Ribs, and they are never dry.
If Baby Back Ribs are your thing, Brining will help. Give the BBR an overnight soak in this...JJ

Apple Pork Brine

2-12oz.Cans Apple Juice Concentrate
1C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4C Molasses
1/4C Mustard
1/2C Kosher Salt
1T Sage, rubbed
1Gal Water

Combine all and Brine the meat at least over night, Longer would be OK too.. Caution: Use a Salt Free Rub!

Try your rotisserie accessory next time. These are the same style ribs I used on my Carson Rodizio rotisserie and posted here over Memorial Day. The loins will self baste and be very moist

🍻
John

If you are careful you can fillet that extra bit of meat off, and save it to fry up for breakfast or something. I see some brands of loin back ribs marked "extra meaty" and I avoid them at all costs.... however one of my neighbors and family love BB ribs so I will inject some slightly salty apple juice or apple/white grape juice into the thicker parts of BB ribs. At least .5 gram of salt per ounce, up to 1 gram per ounce will work wonders. Inject about 2 hours before smoking. I also wrap their ribs a little early as the family prefers them very tender anyway. You can see how heavy that strip of loin meat is on this rack I smoked for them. I bet it's an additional 1/2" taller.
uaWGAQB.jpg
I look for BB ribs like this, but they are harder to find.
Q2sUDfZ.jpg

If I can find BB without the big hunk of loin meat I prefer them to spares, but it's getting harder to find them

Chris

Glad to see I'm not the only one having issues. I remember seeing Johnny Trig on BBQ pitmasters panic when he had to cook baby back ribs. Even he wound up overcooking them The rib king!!

Thanks for all the tips.

That is part of the loin that the butcher leaves on baby back ribs....he can sell the loin on ribs for more than he can sell whole loin. I have noticed the loin portion of baby backs getting thicker over the years.....
Yep. With boneless pork loins selling for as cheap as $1.49/lb(this week at Kroger), and back ribs selling for $2.99/lb on sale, they're trying to maximize their profits....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky