White gravey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Case.....I want that pan! I collect CI too!

Kat
I begged first!
banana_smiley.gif
ROTF.gif

Originally Posted by Asfastasitgets  

Hmmmm...let's derail and discuss mashed potatoes: With or without lumps? Rofl! :D
With or Without? Depends upon if you were in the service. If I have to explain you wouldn't understand. I use a potatoe masher, Mom either riced or used the electric mixer.

Course if there was biscuits, 1/2 a biscuit was happily covered in gravey, the other half of the biscuit hung around just hoping for the sight of a can of syrup or honey!! Or Apple butter or fruit jelly!

With or Without? Depends upon if you were in the service. If I have to explain you wouldn't understand. I use a potatoe masher, Mom either riced or used the electric mixer.

Course if there was biscuits, 1/2 a biscuit was happily covered in gravey, the other half of the biscuit hung around just hoping for the sight of a can of syrup or honey!! Or Apple butter or fruit jelly!
NO lumps but definitely peels, and roasted mashed up garlic. Then if there are left overs you make patties from the mashed taters and fry in bacon grease, and serve with eggs sunny up or basted in mentioned grease, and top with leftover gravy.

Oh...Always knew there was something wrong with Alabama! OIL GRAVY!!! lol *runaway!!! JK! :)

Much like with smoking meats, ask 20 people, get 20 answers, cause everybody cooks to what they know/love. Gravy...

Hmmmm...let's derail and discuss mashed potatoes: With or without lumps? Rofl! :D
My first thaught too, :-)

my grandma even know about Vegy oil, it was either LARD or real butter, only real butter was used to make white flour gravy,  its 50-50  one spoon butter to one spoon flour, melt butter till hot and stir in flour, it will clump up into a ball but cook it a few more min to reduce that flour after taste in the gravy.   the first few amounts of milk i whisk in is 1/4 cup till it gets hot and blends together and add more milk, that depends on the sauce pan and the size of family to feed.  for myself is a small sauce pan 3 t-spoon  each and chipped beef for chipped beef on a shingle, (toast) that is,

im all in on this one:     .let's derail and discuss mashed potatoes: With or without lumps? Rofl! :D     my grandpa,grandma  owned and ran a small hole in the wall cafe at the Davenport IA airport, it was the 50's early to mid 60's, my B-DAY was Sept 1966, 

anyway ive got and ill find to photo's of them in the cafa and one of the menu,  the highest priced item on that and you would guess it right and was,,,,,,,,wait for it,  Beef, top sirloin, 12oz and maby more or over  50 cents,  WOW eating that good you couldent afford new tires for your car and christmas gifts for the kids,

my bad i got off track there,

lumpy mashed potatoes, good long lasting topic on this one, alot of younger members were not around before that instant stuff got  on the market. 

My first thaught too, :-)

my grandma even know about Vegy oil, it was either LARD or real butter, only real butter was used to make white flour gravy,  its 50-50  one spoon butter to one spoon flour, melt butter till hot and stir in flour, it will clump up into a ball but cook it a few more min to reduce that flour after taste in the gravy.  
By definition:

"Roux /ˈruː/ (also rue or panada[1]) is a cooking mixture of wheat flour and fat (traditionally butter). It is the thickening agent of three of the mother sauces of classical French cooking: béchamel sauce, velouté sauce, and espagnole sauce. Clarified butter, vegetable oils, bacon drippings or lard are commonly used fats. It is used as a thickener for gravy, other sauces, soups and stews. It is typically made from equal parts of flour and fat by weight.[2]"

A couple comments on this. A. the traditional reference is due to the fact that in provincial France where the roux was developed, it was dairy country. There was a lot of butter around. It's what they used. If you ask someone from pig country what they use, they'll likely say lard. If you ask someone from the Mediterranean, they might say olive oil. My point is that FAT IS FAT in the way it will coat the flour granules and allow them to be incorporated into the sauce. The important part here IS THE FLOUR. The fat is really just the package in which it's delivered.

4-4-2, 4TBS grease, 4TBS flour, 2cups WHOLE milk.

I scoot the sausage to one side after browning, let all the grease come to one side of the skillet, cast iron, of course. Toss in at least 1 TBS( of the 4) of bacon grease ( 
drool.gif
 ), then whisk in the flour 1 TBS at a time to make the rue, let the rue brown for about a minute (just to brown) the whisk in milk a little at a time. Salt and pepper to taste. Keep your fire fairly low and stir constantly until it thickens. Works every time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky