White gravey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well...I don't really dig on your typical sausage gravy, but this is the basics for my Grandmother's Hamburger gravy (same principle, but you would probably want to drain most of the grease off the sausage):

It's one of those 'scale' old-time recipes, no real measurements. :)

Ingredients:

Hamburger, pref 85/15 if you don't want to drain any grease off (or sausage, in your case)

Flour (usually less than a 1/2 cup)

Milk (varies every time)

Hamburger, browned (s&p to taste). After browning, add flour til the grease is turned into a roux-like consistency (thick and kinda funky looking lol). Cook briefly (medium heat) to cook out the raw-flour taste. Add milk, stirring constantly (initially just cover the meat layer, you can add more if too thick, but can't take it out!!!), and allow to come right to boiling, then turn it down to simmer. Test taste for salt/pepper level, and serve over boiled potatoes (biscuits, in your case). With tons of butter. :)

Lol. 

Mom made a version that she called 'chipped beef gravy' that she served with biscuits. Using that cheap wafer lunch meat (Carl Buddig?), but that required adding butter while heating the meat because it didn't have enough fat in it. Typical roux is 1 pt butter to 1 pt flour, cooked (in the case of white gravy) just to a very light beige...

Last edited:
Gary....This is what we do down here!

Country White Gravy

1/2 cup vegetable oil/bacon grease/or some sort of fat

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

4 cups milk

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Gradually stir in milk so that no lumps form, and continue cooking and stirring until thickened. If the gravy becomes too thick, you may thin it with a little more milk.

If you want sausage in it...crumble cooked sausage in it...and stir and let simmer until warm.

Kat

Last edited:
Oh...Always knew there was something wrong with Alabama! OIL GRAVY!!! lol *runaway!!! JK! :)

Much like with smoking meats, ask 20 people, get 20 answers, cause everybody cooks to what they know/love. Gravy...

Hmmmm...let's derail and discuss mashed potatoes: With or without lumps? Rofl! :D

I make sausage gravy quite often, but "eyeball" the measurements.  I would guess they are similar to kat's above, but I brown half a pound of sausage and leave the grease in the skillet and only add canola oil to get enough liquid for the roux.  The most important step for good white gravy is to brown the roux or the gravy will taste like flour paste with salt and pepper in it. I also use a whisk when adding the milk so I don't get lumps in the gravy

Try some Chocolate gravy sometime too.

gotta find a better recipe than what you guys put up
That was a Middle America Corn/hog/beef-raisers gravy recipe. :) lol I have no clue how they do it dow(n here)...oh...yeah...they make that damned oil gravy down here, too, and I won't eat it!!! :D lol

If it's not animal fat...it's...not gravy. lol

Yeah, I'd follow Lady Kat's recipe in a second with zero doubt...if I didn't have my own. :)

But seriously, Kat's looks like a basis for really good white gravy.

Here's how I do it.

Take a pound of good breakfast sausage and dump it into your heaviest 12" skillet over medium heat. Cast iron is really the only way here, but for the less fortunate, any heavy bottomed skillet will do. Break up the sausage with a wooden spoon and continue stirring and breaking up the lumps until it's about 2/3-3/4 done. It should be mostly browned, but with some pink bits remaining. Then, and trust me on this one, dump in a cup of water. It will sizzle and make all manner of unholy noises, but then it will settle down to a simmer. Then, with the same wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the browned goodies off and continue stirring for 5 minutes until the sausage is in uniform small pieces and is done. What we're doing here is coaxing ALL the fat out of the sausage and providing some room for it to break down completely. Now, drain your sausage in a mesh strainer over a bowl large enough to catch ALL the liquid. Let it drain for a minute or 2 to make sure all the liquid comes out. Set the strainer containing the meat aside.

Next, return your skillet to HIGH heat and pour in the liquid you strained off the sausage. This will be a little unpleasant. It'll pop and sizzle and act like it's going to explode. It won't. This is just the water evaporating. After 2 or 3 minutes, it should calm down. At this point pull it off the heat and let it cool for 2 or 3 minutes. What you'll have is the most perfect, golden pork fat you've ever seen. You should have about 4 Tablespoons. If you have less, add cooking oil to make up the difference. At this point, mix 3 cups of skim milk (WHAT?!?!) and one cup of chicken stock (WHAT?!?!) and have ready by the stove.(You want a savory gravy, not wallpaper paste) Return the oil in the skillet to medium low heat and sift in 3 tablespoons of flour. With a whisk, keep this moving around the pan for 3 or 4 minutes until it just starts to brown and smell nutty.

Now whisk in about a cup of the milk/stock mixture and form a paste. this is important as you're avoiding lumps here. Once you have a smooth paste, whisk in the rest of the liquid. It will look WAY too thin, but it's ok. Crank the heat to medium high and continue whisking. It should thicken up in 3 or 4 minutes, When it coats the back of a spoon, taste for seasoning. Add black pepper and cayenne to taste. Then, add the sausage you cooked earlier. The mixture should be on the thin side, as it will thicken as it cools at the table. Serve over Lady Kat's Buttermilk Biscuits and prepare to be called upon to provide breakfast often.

Try some Chocolate gravy sometime too.
If done well...delicious. If done wrong...it'll turn a child off of chocolate pudding for life. :) lol

Also, the flavor of gravy is way too limited. Try tomato. Bell pepper. Mushroom. Name it, make a gravy out of it. (Gotta do something with this stuff before it rots!) lol

well from the gators view both of you are wrong

bama is always wrong

and tennesee is worse

GOOOOOO Gators

gotta find a better recipe than what you guys put up
I'm allowing this (I suppose) insult, because I couldn't care less about sports. My FIL law, on the other hand... rofl

Back to the gravy!!!

Yeah, beef fat doesn't suffer that 'water/fat boily' thing. It's just GBD before you add the flour. :) lol

Never used a whisk, we always use a wooden spoon. But yes, cast iron skillet. :)

Yeah, beef fat doesn't suffer that 'water/fat boily' thing. It's just GBD before you add the flour. :) lol
Beef fat benefits too. It's the same principle as the rendering process to make lard from pigs or tallow from beef. The water acts as a solvent to break down the meat fibers and allow all the fat to float out.

Just having some fun with you. You started with the Bama crack. Love college ball and sausage gravy

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd follow Lady Kat's recipe in a second with zero doubt...if I didn't have my own. :)
But seriously, Kat's looks like a basis for really good white gravy.

Here's how I do it.
Take a pound of good breakfast sausage and dump it into your heaviest 12" skillet over medium heat. Cast iron is really the only way here, but for the less fortunate, any heavy bottomed skillet will do. Break up the sausage with a wooden spoon and continue stirring and breaking up the lumps until it's about 2/3-3/4 done. It should be mostly browned, but with some pink bits remaining. Then, and trust me on this one, dump in a cup of water. It will sizzle and make all manner of unholy noises, but then it will settle down to a simmer. Then, with the same wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the browned goodies off and continue stirring for 5 minutes until the sausage is in uniform small pieces and is done. What we're doing here is coaxing ALL the fat out of the sausage and providing some room for it to break down completely. Now, drain your sausage in a mesh strainer over a bowl large enough to catch ALL the liquid. Let it drain for a minute or 2 to make sure all the liquid comes out. Set the strainer containing the meat aside.
Next, return your skillet to HIGH heat and pour in the liquid you strained off the sausage. This will be a little unpleasant. It'll pop and sizzle and act like it's going to explode. It won't. This is just the water evaporating. After 2 or 3 minutes, it should calm down. At this point pull it off the heat and let it cool for 2 or 3 minutes. What you'll have is the most perfect, golden pork fat you've ever seen. You should have about 4 Tablespoons. If you have less, add cooking oil to make up the difference. At this point, mix 3 cups of skim milk (WHAT?!?!) and one cup of chicken stock (WHAT?!?!) and have ready by the stove.(You want a savory gravy, not wallpaper paste) Return the oil in the skillet to medium low heat and sift in 3 tablespoons of flour. With a whisk, keep this moving around the pan for 3 or 4 minutes until it just starts to brown and smell nutty.
Now whisk in about a cup of the milk/stock mixture and form a paste. this is important as you're avoiding lumps here. Once you have a smooth paste, whisk in the rest of the liquid. It will look WAY too thin, but it's ok. Crank the heat to medium high and continue whisking. It should thicken up in 3 or 4 minutes, When it coats the back of a spoon, taste for seasoning. Add black pepper and cayenne to taste. Then, add the sausage you cooked earlier. The mixture should be on the thin side, as it will thicken as it cools at the table. Serve over Lady Kat's Buttermilk Biscuits and prepare to be called upon to provide breakfast often.

Only thing I can add to that is use Pop's country sausage for the "good sausage".

Couple edits to my recipe above. You can use 4 TB of flour for thicker gravy if you like. I just like mine on the thinner side. You can also use whole milk or half and half if you like it richer. I like to use skim or 2% so the flavor of the sausage isn't masked by the fat in the milk, but everybody has different tastes.

Can't have white gravy w/o bacon grease

MiamiRick.....just because I live in Alabama.....does NOT mean I am a UA fan. Oh quite contrair!

Are you still on the Tim Tebow train? Sorry....had to ask!

Gary....you will do fine! Experiment and you will find the one you like! Pops Country breakfast sausage is the bomb!

Kat

Hey

Thanks to you all!!  If I can't make a perfect white gravey after all this help, then I guess I'll just give away my cast iron frying pan

Gary
Fantastic, I need another CI pan. I will PM you my mailing address so you can send the pan! Have you seasoned the CI pan with Flaxseed oil? If not then you need to!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky