Which beef cut for hot roast beef?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KrisUpInSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Hey y'all!

I've got some family visiting tomorrow. I'd like to make an herb crusted roast beef that can be hand sliced (pour juices back over) and served hot with horseradish cream sauce. I'd like to serve it medium to medium-rare so I'm planning to smoke at 225℉, weather permitting, for nice wall to wall pink. I'm not sure what IT to take it to yet. Maybe 130 ℉ IT. If it looks like rain, should I crust it in a screaming hot oven then turn it down, or sear in a pan before roasting?

Tenderloin or standing rib roast would be awesome, but I'm looking for less expensive cuts to feed 10 people. I'll be shopping at Sam's Club. The more I look up recipes, the more confused I'm getting. I'm reading some cuts are too tough or too lean, some cuts are used for cold deli roast beef but not hot, different cook times and temps...:confused: I've smoked a sirloin tip roast and sliced it to eat, so I'm leaning toward that. But, I've also seen roast beef recipes for 'Whole Beef Eye of Round Roast.' Which cut of beef should I buy?

Thanks for any advice.

Probably not what you want to do but GFS has precooked that is perfect for this situation. Heat and serve and no worries of show leather... I would not risk it until you have a few under your belt especially with family.

Reactions: chopsaw
I know you said hand slice but if you have a meat slicer I would vote for eye of round. Smoke to about 115 then reverse sear it on a hot grill to 125. Carryover will get you in the 130-135 range. Sliced thin makes awesome roast beef

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
There are a lot of recommendations for various muscles from the Round. While fine machine cut paper thin and as a cold cut sandwich, it is far from a good choice for a hot, hand cut ,roast beef dinner, unless you Sous Vide the meat for 24+ hours.
For a simple Smoke, Sear and Eat meal, go Middle of the road. To combine reasonable cost and reasonably tender with out fuss...Go middle of the animal. Ranging from higher cost but more tender to lower cost but less tender, you have the following...
Strip Loin.
Top Butt, aka, Top Sirloin.
Tri-Tip.
Sirloin Tip.
All great choices for Med/Rare Slicing served hot.
Smoke at 225 to an IT of 115-120°. Preheat your oven to 450-500°F. Let the meat sear to 125-130. Rest 15-20 minutes on the counter and slice as thin as possible...JJ

I do a LOT of sliced roast beef, primarily as one of our lunch meats that I smoke, slice, package, and keep on hand for consumption. Eye of round has always done well for myself, the wife, and all of the folks that work in the office for the company I work for (I'm not office personnel). It is great for just a basic roast beef sandwich, French Dip sandwiches, Philly Cheese Steak, or just slicing and serving as an entree for dinner. I always do mine on the BGE seasoned with SPOG, cook to an IT of 140*, wrap and put in the cooler for a couple hours, then into the fridge overnight before slicing.

Tri Tip is also an excellent choice but a bit pricier than EOR. If you can swing the extra $$, definitely go Trip Tip. You cannot go wrong with those unless you make a special effort to botch them up :-)

Robert

Well Kris I was going to chime in but I got nothing, I just learned more reading..

So..I'll await the pictures and your notes :)

What do we think of this?
P_20190103_190127_HL.jpg

Might want to look around the stores a bit. It is a great time of year to find marked down prime rib or rib roast in the $5 / lb. range.

Might want to look around the stores a bit. It is a great time of year to find marked down prime rib or rib roast in the $5 / lb. range.
I checked all the meat. Found no prime rib anywhere. I've done tri tip so I'm not as worried about goofing it up.
Good call on the TTs.
Personally, I would not have gone for the preseasoned ones. However, if that is all they had, then roll with it.
I wasn't keen on the preseasoning either, but it was all they had. It was two or 3 dollars less than the unseasoned at the local grocery store. Plus, the herb profile is similar to what I wanted to do, so we'll see how it goes.

wasn't keen on the preseasoning either,
Might not be all bad . Check the label so you know whats been added . Look for phosphates , and a sodium percentage .
Be careful adding more salt . I bet it comes out great .

Also , watch the cook time . The pre-brine might shorten that up some .

I wasn't keen on the preseasoning either, but it was all they had. It was two or 3 dollars less than the unseasoned at the local grocery store. Plus, the herb profile is similar to what I wanted to do, so we'll see how it goes

Well, there you go. It sounds like a win/win.
I guess I am lucky. My local Wallymart carries unseasoned CAB Choice TTs.
So, that is where I buy them when I need a TT fix.
Recently, my wife and I where shopping at another grocery store.
I asked one of the guys behind the "butcher" counter if there were any Tri-Tips in back.
He looked at me like I had antennae sprouting from my head.

You guys are lucky. We checked a couple area stores. The meat managers never heard of Tri-Tip...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky