Where can I find some sheep casings?

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by mummel, Apr 15, 2015.

1. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

I checked Amazon but no clear product winners.  Where do you guys get your sheep casings?

2. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I seen some in Cabelas 2 weeks ago that was in Pa.

3. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

4. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

I get quality sheep casings from butcher and packer... Been through a mess load of hanks

5. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

I checked them out already but the sheep casings got some mixed reviews.  The hog ones were positive, but not so much for the sheep.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  6. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

7. Have you tried Curley's Sausage kitchen?

8. You'll just have to try some and see what you think

Gary

9. charcoal junkie

charcoal junkie Smoking Fanatic

Butcher & Packer has some good quality casings.

10. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Did a lot of research on this since so many complaints of blow outs and odd sizes. These guys  http://www.makincasing.com/   are high rated and cheaper than most, shipping included. I have had no issues and they have great customer service. Pops and NEPAS uses them as well...JJ

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  11. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

Great, thanks.

12. Good advice Chef 

Gary

13. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

I would look toward the hind end of the sheep. I think they are kept there. Tee Hee....

14. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I buy mine from the sausage maker ,free S&H on orders over 49. If you buy a hank you'll get free S&H !

15. tjrr

tjrr Newbie

Jumping in here, I haven't used pre-tubed casings before. Few questions if you don't mind: How long a piece (or pieces) is on each tube? Do you really not have to flush them? Do they keep as well as salt-packed casings?

Thanks for any info.

16. I would like to see the responses on the pre-tubed casings as well. I have only used hog casings once.  Me and my wife tried regular salt packed sheep casings and had so many problems with getting them on the stuffer tube we gave up.  I would like to make some breakfast sausage links.

17. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

How do the pretubed casings differ?

18. supplysergeant

supplysergeant Fire Starter

Watching. I'm wondering about the tubed casings myself. Of course, I just make my son slide them casings on the stuffer, he eats over half the product anyway!

19. bkleinsmid

bkleinsmid Smoking Fanatic

I agree. I get them tubed........saves a headache.

Brad

20. mummel

mummel Master of the Pit

Guys what do you mean by "get the tubed"?  How do you put them on your stuffer?