When you a day off and nothing to do.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
You make pickles...and things.

First off 4 pints of pickles using Al's recipe with a couple changes.

P2210589.JPG

P2210590.JPG

First difference was that I ripple cut them. Soaking for a couple hours. The other changes were I used pickle crisp instead of alum. And I vacuum sealed in the jars.

P2210597.jpg

Done!

Now onto some fun stuff.
I had some larger pickles sitting in brine for a couple of weeks. So I went and cut and scooped out the insides deep enough to form a shot glass. But leaving the bottom to form a "shotglass"

P2210591.JPG

Then mixed up a cup of V-8 juice with 2 shots of vodka, a dash or pepper, lemon juice, worsty sauce, and a dash of Franks hot sauce. Rimmed the shotglasses with Montreal seasoning.

P2210593.JPG

And filled them up! These are really good! The pickle adds to the Bloody Mary nicely. Had 5. And thought I'd better stop. Note the vodka is 100 proof.

P2210595.JPG

Last edited:
Wow Steve the pickles look excellent! Like the ripple cuts too. The bloody mary pickle shots are something I can say I have never seen before. Not a big vodka drinker but my wife would put a few down for sure!

DAMN STEVE!! I don't know which I like better: the pickles or the Bloody Marys. Both just look fantastic. I'm not a Bloody Mary person as a general rule but I'd down a couple of those real quick. Great job my friend!!

Wow....
Robert

I like when you have days off with nothing to do, you come up with some good ideas! I like it

Ryan

That is innovative, Steve! I will have to brine some pickles and try that.... :emoji_wink:
Thank you!

Wow Steve the pickles look excellent! Like the ripple cuts too. The bloody mary pickle shots are something I can say I have never seen before. Not a big vodka drinker but my wife would put a few down for sure!
Thanks! I'm liking my new salad shooter pro. It took less then a minute to do of those long cucumbers.

You could fill them with fireball an my wife would love them.
Richie
Fireball?? I believe I would pass on that Richie.

DAMN STEVE!! I don't know which I like better: the pickles or the Bloody Marys. Both just look fantastic. I'm not a Bloody Mary person as a general rule but I'd down a couple of those real quick. Great job my friend!!

Wow....
Robert
Thanks Robert! I was happy with how the pickle shots came out. And of course. You can't go wrong with Al's pickle recipe.

Cool Idea I Like it

Gary
Thanks Gary!

I like when you have days off with nothing to do, you come up with some good ideas! I like it

Ryan

Thanks Ryan! The pickle shots came about from 3 different recipes I looked at. And combined what I thought was good from each.

got to say Steve that is different. but I bet they were good, wonder how jack d would taste with pickles.

Oh God...here we go. Ain't no telling where this one is going :emoji_astonished:

Running for cover,
Robert
I was never like this until I joined smf, I just joined to learn how to smoke animals. now i'm drinking jack out of pickles. what the hell is going on here :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Looks Great, Steve!!
Looks like Fun Making too.
Like.
I couldn't join you though, as I never got into the hard stuff---Only Beer--An awful lot of Beer, but nothing harder.

Bear

Looks Great, Steve!!
Looks like Fun Making too.
Like.
I couldn't join you though, as I never got into the hard stuff---Only Beer--An awful lot of Beer, but nothing harder.

Bear

Thanks Bear! You could omit the booze with this.

I was never like this until I joined smf, I just joined to learn how to smoke animals. now i'm drinking jack out of pickles. what the hell is going on here :emoji_laughing:

I get where you're coming from. I've had the same experience. Before I joined SMF and got friendly with Steve, I was a choir boy, Deacon in the church, paid my taxes, and never touched a drop of alcohol. Now look at me. I skip paying my taxes so I can afford this new hobby, imbibe in numerous alcoholic beverages, and traded in my choir robe for a chef's apron. Like you, I have no idea what's going on here.....but I sure am enjoying it :emoji_astonished:

It's all Steve's fault..and I love him for it,
Robert

I couldn't join you though, as I never got into the hard stuff---Only Beer--An awful lot of Beer, but nothing harde

No worries here Bear. I could drink beer out of a pickle with no problem at all. I'd just want a good beer, Nothing light as you'd never taste it over top of the piggles.

Piggles and beer? Why not?
Robert

No worries here Bear. I could drink beer out of a pickle with no problem at all. I'd just want a good beer, nothing light as you'd never taste it over top of the piggles.

Piggles and beer? Why not?
Robert

No way!! That's just as bad as Reece's PB Cups & Beer!!
Pickles & Pickles.
Reece's & Reece's.
And Beer & Beer!!!
However if I was a Hard Stuff Drinker, those things Steve Made look Awesome!!!

Bear

Reactions: Steve H
No way!! That's just as bad as Reece's PB Cups & Beer!!

WHOA!! Time out here my friend. Reece's PB cups and beer has been a favorite food / drink combo of mine since I was about 10 years old :emoji_anguished: It was a daily staple...right up till I became a choir boy of course :emoji_wink: PB cups and beer was first on the list and M&M's were a close second

Robert

Steve, I gotta hand it to you, those look pretty creative and awesome! I'm just trying to figure out how many of those I could knock back before I hit the floor? Have you tried it yet?...for science of course!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky